Any BT or Communication Engineer Out There !!

spuds 22:09 27 Feb 03

I am seeking a little advice on telephone services line and internet connection. If a BT telephone line installation as a call messanger service, plus an emergency response system installed, can the same line be converted to receive a broadband service.Would the internet connection cause any problems.

he he :-) 22:24 27 Feb 03

call BT

spuds 22:33 27 Feb 03

Already have, but I would like a second opinnion.

telestar 15:18 28 Feb 03

I have a similar question. Are there any resrictions as to a line capacity and what services are available.

graham 17:17 28 Feb 03

Has the line got Redcare?

graham 18:06 28 Feb 03

Line capacity? Don't know what you mean, Microfarads? All the normal services, call waiting, 1571 messaging, etc. are all available on ADSL.

Red Care is not compatible with ADSL.

Next question, please.

tbh72 22:12 28 Feb 03

I have a BT line, I connect to adsl via freeserve. On the same line I have an ADT Alarm system. The line also support's the sky box. I don't know how ADT have done it but they take presidence. EG, if the alarm / panic is activated then nothing else works other than that!!!

spuds 12:20 01 Mar 03

Just checking if system as Red Care.It would appear by BT's info that the emergency line would take preference over all other connected equipment. But still checking.

tbh72 13:09 01 Mar 03

Spuds - Just a thought, if you didn't want to take a second line. If the internet connection is important can you setup an auto connection after a discon due to the ALERT / ALARM precidence.

spuds 19:42 03 Mar 03

Did further checks, and this is the 'official' view. A single BT line can be used as a internet [56k or broadband]and voice line.The same line will also take an emergency line like Red Care.But BT will not allow the one line to run in conjunction with a system like Red Care.They insist that emergency lines are only used with voice lines.So if you have a standard BT line connected to your internet connection, you cannot have an emergency line on this same connection.BT will insist that you have a voice/emergency line and a separate internet line.Two line-two accounts.

graham 19:58 03 Mar 03

You're nearly there! As I said earlier, Red Care is not compatible with ADSL. It's not a question of BT not allowing it, they will not work on the same line. It's a frequency thing, they share similar bandwidths. You could, however, have a 'dialler' alarm system with ADSL, is this what you had in mind all along? Red Care is quite expensive!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…