any better programs than winsockxp?

theDarkness 19:34 21 Oct 06

i am wondering if there are there any better freeware programs other than winsockxp at restoring internet settings?

gudgulf 21:00 21 Oct 06

"i am wondering if there are there any better freeware programs other than winsockxp at restoring internet settings?"

Why?

theDarkness 01:44 22 Oct 06

I need to restore "internet connection sharing" which is available by going through the control panel and selecting my modems advanced properties. I am given the message "file not available" when I try and switch the service on, the screen halting for a few secs beforehand. No doubt the file is ICS in general. I must have accidentally erased the service or at least its registry settings, when using registry cleaner or related tools. My one tends to pick everything and anything up. I was told that the program "winsockxp" could try and restore my initial internet settings, but after using it, nothing has changed unfortunately. I really dont want to have to install windows all over again though!

I am wondering if there is a way of restoring registry settings without the system deleting any files or (even better) reinstalling the ICS service?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:02 22 Oct 06

start - run type sfc /scannow

to replace missing corrupt files.

theDarkness 11:20 22 Oct 06

thanks, ive tried that, but it tells me to insert a copy of xp professional service pack 2. im running a (legit!) copy of xp home with service pack 2, and it tells me its the wrong cd? I dont want to buy a pro copy of windows just to get this working. lol any ideas?

VoG II 11:23 22 Oct 06
  theDarkness 12:33 22 Oct 06

thanks- although my service pack 2 was part of the install disc for xp home, inserting the disc straight for method 1 definately doesnt work.
Further help from method 1 only refers to updates originally from the internet as an 'Update.exe' file. I don't think service pack 2 included on my xp cd is included in this (I think its 'SP2.cab' from the i386 folder). I tried the registry edit from method 2 (changing the service pack source path), but it still asked for xp pro with sp2.

Stuartli 12:40 22 Oct 06

Do you have two optical drives such as a CD/DVD-ROM drive and a rewriter?

You'll most likely find that the rewriter (Master) is the D drive...:-)

I was caught out the first time I ran sfc /scannow from the DVD-ROM drive which is, in such cases, the E drive.

Stuartli 12:51 22 Oct 06

Or try this link:

click here

which provides a fix.

theDarkness 12:55 22 Oct 06

For drive letters, C and D are both my first and main hard drive - C has xp installed, D is the partitioned half. E is my second drive. I have one optical drive connected right now, which is F. It is my main (and only) real drive, dvd/cd writer.
G and H are virtual hard drives, no idea why I have two on here, installing too many demo progs I think! A is my floppy (real, not virtual) :D

theDarkness 12:56 22 Oct 06

thanks Stuartli, but thats the program im posting about :) lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…