Any Alternative to Scandisk?

Pesala 13:24 15 Sep 04

Scandisk insists on running every time I boot up due to some bad sectors. Unfortunately, after four hours it was still only 36% done and hadn't found any. I have work to do. I don't even sleep for 12 hours.

Is there a utility that will scan for bad sectors in the background, or that is much faster than scandisk?

Windows ME, 40 Gbyte hard drive. Running scandisk from DOS on startup.

Belatucadrus 14:01 15 Sep 04

I seem to remember McAfee Nuts n Bolts had its own Scan disk facility that should be ME compatible if you can find a copy, probably have to try e bay to get it. The only free option I could find is 'Hard drive scan disk pro' click here the website is in Chinese, though apparently the software isn't click on 'toget' to download it.
As I'm on XP and it's not XP compatible, I've not had the chance to test it, so I can't vouch for it in any way.

Pesala 14:38 15 Sep 04

for such a sensitive task, but what the heck. I'll soon need a new hard disk anyway. It seems to run OK in the background. I'll leave this one open until it has finished the job. If you don't hear from me again, assume that is not so good.

Even as I write this, it finished scanning. It just checked the file structures and found no errors. It doesn't do a surface scan.

rawprawn 15:01 15 Sep 04

Could you run chkdsk instead of scandisk, they both do similar jobs but I think chkdsk would be faster.

Pesala 15:12 15 Sep 04

Chkdsk/f won't run in a DOS box. I will have to find my recovery disk to reboot to DOS mode.

Pesala 15:16 15 Sep 04

Unable to read anything on my floppy drive. Tried to create some recovery disks for AVG 7.0 the other day. Nothing will format. My startup disk is unreadable. Floppy drive seems to be out of order. Probably gone rusty from lack of use.

rawprawn 15:27 15 Sep 04

I know it won't run in a dos box,I don't know about ME, but in XP if you type chkdsk /r in run and OK you will get a dos box that says it can't run but also an opyion to run it on reboot y/n. I know I am not sure but would that work for you.

Pesala 15:38 15 Sep 04

Parse error 3, whatever that is.

Pesala 16:27 19 Dec 04

Ended up letting scandisk complete. I hope this doesn't happen too often.

johnnyrocker 16:32 19 Dec 04

disk keeper lite?

johnny.

daba 16:49 19 Dec 04

does the same job as scandisk, and can be set to run in the background when the PC is idle.

I've seen NU advertised very cheaply but can't remember where - perhaps Google can help.

daba

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced