Any advice on intermittent drives

ian-inhome 16:48 14 Feb 08

Can anyone offer any advice in tracking down an intermittent fault with the cd/dvd drives?
I have over the last few years had various drives installed but all have had various intermittent problems and I don't believe they can all be faulty. 1. Sony CRX185E1 kept crashing the computer and then disappearing off the hardware list, a reboot and “found new hardware” would get that working again. 2. Teac CD-W552E sound on playback stutters or goes distorted (intermittent). 3.LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H10N Sound stops playing halfway through a disc but progress bar in WMP keeps moving until it gets to the end then you get the egg timer and WMP is not responding.. 4. CD R/W make unknown IDE-CD R/RW 4x4x32 [CD-ROM drive] sound stops halfway through a disc led on front flashes,Drawer will not open until machine switched off then you have to press open as the machine boots.
Copying from the drives to the computer the machine crashes with BAD POOL CALLER.
And various error numbers. The latest ones 0X000000C2 - 0X00000007- 0X00000CD4 – 0XB5B5B5B5- 0XE11C8008 . All faults are intermittent the computer can work perfectly for weeks without any problem then I may get day after day when it crashes always when using one of the drives. I suspect that the problem is something on the motherboard intermittent.
Any ideas on how I can confirm that please.
The cds that are distorted / stop playing etc work ok in another machine.
I have just reformatted the Cdrive and reinstalled Windows. So at the moment I have WMP9 before the reformat I was using WMP11. Still the same problem
Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. 7ZXE 1.0
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
Drives
110.03 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
88.09 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H10N [CD-ROM drive]
IDE-CD R/RW 4x4x32 [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removable media [Floppy drive]
1024 Megabytes Installed Memory
Windows XP Pro all updates to 14.2.2008

johndrew 17:13 14 Feb 08

Have you checked the power and data leads to ensure they are not `broken` in any way?

There is a mention of `stuttering` in the PCA mag for April; I think memory/CPU power was cited as a possible cause. This especially if you are running other software.

The only other thing I can think of is drivers. Are they correct and up to date?

ian-inhome 18:00 14 Feb 08

I have no other programs running apart from anti virus etc. The memory is made up of slot '0' has 256 MB Slot '1' has 512 MB Slot '2' has 256 MB I will try removing them 1 by 1 and see if it helps. The problem is sometimes the fault shows immediately other times it may not appear or take an hour or 2 to develop.
Drivers as far as I know are all up to date.
Data lead was changed about a year ago to see if that was the cause. power supply possibly?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…