antivirus software free or nortons?

Giggsy252 18:54 18 Jun 06

getting a new PC and need virus protection . Thinking of getting Nortons but is there any free ones that will do the job effectively?

Totally-braindead 18:56 18 Jun 06

woodchip 18:59 18 Jun 06
  alB 19:01 18 Jun 06

Agree with Totally-braindead, also, get Zone Alarm firewall (again free)...alB

Diodorus Siculus 19:03 18 Jun 06

Avast works well - auto updates and runs great.

Strawballs 19:08 18 Jun 06
  SANTOS7 19:10 18 Jun 06

click here
Maybe not norton..

Jimmy14 19:12 18 Jun 06

I recommend NIS 2006. Very good program .
SANTOS7- The article that you have provided with the link says
"Further tests revealed that Symantec Antivirus 10.x and Symantec Client Security 3.x are vulnerable, but the current security suite is not."
So the current 2006 version is not at risk.

Belatucadrus 23:08 18 Jun 06

The perennial Norton versus the rest issues raises its head again, it will as always start a bun fight between the supporters and detractors. Here are the pros and cons as I see them.
Pro:- Good reviews at magazine tests, ICSA rated and good pass rate at Virus bulletin. If the installation routine works to plan, not a bad product with a lot of happy users.
Con:- A large program with comparatively high system requirements, while this may not bother new PCs, old machines that have followed the update path from previous versions can be brought to their knees by its increased demands. Frequently cited in this forum for adversely affecting computers performances, sometimes unfairly, most times not.
The uninstal routine leaves a lot to be desired, sometimes it works as designed,others it doesn't, Symantec have accepted this is a problem and post a variety of removal tools on their website.
Incredibly misleading update policy, Symantec are quite happy to sell signature updates to obsolete unsupported versions. These products are almost completely useless, as while the new signature file may permit detection of the latest virus, the lack of development means the program probably can't do anything about it. Symantecs' usual response to cries for help from people affected this way is “ Too bad mate, that versions unsupported” this attitude has created a lot of unhappy users.
It costs money, for a non profit home user there are free AV progs like avast!, AVG and Antivir that will do the job just as well, if not much better. Like Norton they're ICSA rated and have good Virus Bulletin 100% pass rates. They have all the pros and none of the cons that Norton has. If you don't qualify for the free license and you need to buy a commercial product then there are better products available such as NOD32.
In short my view of Norton is that it's capable but has too many flaws to be on my personal shortlist.

skidzy 23:17 18 Jun 06

Belatucadrus has said it all about NIS.

Personally i would stay away from Norton,in the past it has caused me many problems and that was with a new pc.Once i had totally cleared it off the system i opted for AVG free version with Zonealarm firewall.
I now run this set up on 4 machines and have had no problems to date.

This is my preference and may well conflict with other peoples idea's.

Giggsy252 23:25 18 Jun 06

briliant guys, thank you for all your help, gonna stick to AVAST or AVG.

Thank you again for all your comments especially Belatucadrus for your time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…