ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE: CHICKEN AND EGG?

Drusen 08:15 16 Jan 07

Currently, I only have a McAffee virus checker loaded on to my computer (it was shipped with it). Last month, I was given a load of useful advice re which free AV software to download. The problem is, with only a virus checker on board, I assume that when I navigate to the necessary AV sites I will be at risk of acquiring some viruses - I understand that the Internet Explorer program is a home for viruses, so I plan to download Firefox at some point.

This is clearly a chicken and egg situation. The only solution I can think of is to ask someone else to download the software - I assume it's not safe to go on to navigate to the AV sites, without AV protection. In case you are wondering, I'm using my work PC. Unfortunately, allowed to download software with it.

jarvis10@btinternet.com 08:51 16 Jan 07

hi i have only been using a pc a little less than a year, i used ie7 for a while have recently started using firefox i use this site a lot along with about 5 others, if i do i search with norton or ad aware, WITHOUT RUNNING CCLEANER FIRST, ad aware finds 8 tracking cookies and norton finds 1 low risk spyware, however when using firefox, both find nothing!
btw i think its safe to enable windows firewall and download your software as they will scan for problems on installation.

Jackcoms 10:22 16 Jan 07

"I understand that the Internet Explorer program is a home for viruses"

Uh? No idea where you got that from.

In general viruses come from dodgy websites and/or as attachments in unsolicited e-mails. It's nothing to do with the browser you use.

Use click here as an AV program together with click here as a real-time anti-malware program and click here as a malware blocker together with a lot of common sense and you should be OK.

VoG II 12:50 16 Jan 07

With McAfee still installed go to click here and download it.

Disconnect from the internet.

Uninstall McAfee

Install Avast.

birdface 09:46 17 Jan 07

If you download Mcafee Site Advisor,It warns you of any bad sites that you are about to open,Takes up very little space on your toolbar,It gives you different colour warnings as to how bad the website is,A Must for any computer,

jarvis10@btinternet.com 10:14 17 Jan 07

totally agree!

Border View 13:21 17 Jan 07

I swear by Avast as antivirus and Kerio Personal Firewall.

bof:) 17:14 27 Jan 07

barmoor hear hear, I use the same. buteman off to the Macafee website to look for this Site Advisor. Will it run ok with AVG?

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…