//some 3rd party need geo

Antivirus query

CurlyWhirly 13:00 03 Apr 05

I have often wondered this!
Namely why is it that if you are foolish enough to NOT run anti-virus software, the chances are that you WILL get infected, but if you run anti-virus EVERY time you go online, you NEVER seem to get infected by just being online unless you deal with dodgy P2P networks or click on unsolicited e-mail attachments?

The only reason I can think of, is that while just being online (i.e. with NO user intervention), even IF a virus was intercepted by the anti-virus software, it would just get rid of the virus 'silently' in the background using it's (hopefully) up-to-date virus signature database?
Anyone know if I am right or not?
Thanks.

Totally-braindead 13:55 03 Apr 05

I disagree with the " you NEVER seem to get infected by just being online unless you deal with dodgy P2P networks or click on unsolicited e-mail attachments? " This is just not true, I don't go on dodgy websites or use P2P sites and always check my emails but I've had a couple of viruses hit me since the beginning of the year. I do agree however that its virtually suicidal to go online without virus protection. The anti virus programs I have seen come up with a box telling you a virus was found at such and such and was automatically deleted or something similar. I'm not 100% sure about the being online without user intervention being safe, from what I am given to understand this is not the case but not being an expert on such matters I'll leave it up to some people who are experts on this to comment as to this. I'll be watching this thread with interest to see what the others say.

CurlyWhirly 14:02 03 Apr 05

Thanks for replying.
The reason why I posted this was that despite being online EVERY day for hours at a time, the last time I can remember having a virus was when clicked on a 'dodgy' link that was infected with a trojan.

I think it was something with the words 'Redirect' in it, and it took advantage of an Internet Explorer vulnerabilty that, even though being patched, it still showed up in a virus alert.
This was around a year ago!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…