antivirus or not

jon2 16:23 12 Jan 11

do's one need antivirus if not on line?

johndrew 16:40 12 Jan 11

Provided you are totally confident in all software, documents and peripherals you apply to the PC you don't need an AV.

However, your PC will not be updated unless you go online and for this you need an AV which should also be updated online.

So if you never want to update your OS and never install anything that may be contaminated the short answer is 'No'.

rawprawn 16:51 12 Jan 11

Put a free one on "Just in case" no hassle
Avast click here

GaT7 16:58 12 Jan 11

Following on from what jd said, viruses can enter via an infected USB drive or other disc (CD/DVD/hard drive) you insert into this PC.

So run a prior AV scan on all unknown items you're going to stick into this PC in another PC that has an up-to-date virus scanner, & you should be OK. G

northumbria61 17:02 12 Jan 11

You need to install windows updates to keep your computer "up to date" - it is a necessity - so in that case you do need an anti-virus. There are plenty of free one's to choose from.

GaT7 23:06 12 Jan 11

No, Windows updates aren't necessary if not going online.

Even if connecting to the Internet, Windows updates aren't compulsory, but always recommended for better security & added functionality. G

wee eddie 23:22 12 Jan 11

and aren't swapping Files with anyone, or trying to run the latest games, most of which need some form of on-line connection.

You could happily run Windows '98se, or any other OS that you like, but the moment you connect with another person, using a Home made CD or downloading something from a friends USB Drive, you risk a Virus attack.

However, as most current Malware is itself, incapacitate by your inability to go on-line. You'll be pretty safe.

northumbria61 12:40 13 Jan 11

I can't begin to imagine having a computer and NEVER going online - but if you DO -
The critical and security updates are a must I would say, the others are optional.
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

GaT7 13:00 13 Jan 11

"The critical and security updates are a must I would say"

Not a must northumbria61. No updates are compulsory - it has always been (& continue to be) optional for the enduser. 'Recommended' yes, but not compulsory.

And, like you, I must install them too. I imagine most (wise) people will install them as well to stay safe online. But they aren't absolutely necessary if not going online. The user will lose out on some extra functionality though.

As wee eddie also says, it's fine to run any other OS (even ones that aren't supported by security updates any more) without any updates if not connecting to the Internet. G

jon2 16:16 13 Jan 11

many thanks for all your input, I will give it a lot of thought.

wee eddie 16:35 13 Jan 11

Are almost all about "Patching" Code that is open to new Malware of some kind or another.

These Patches are rarely designed to improve the Core Program, as originally issued on CD, so if you are not going on-line and not plugging in Software & Files that have had downloaded for you by someone else. You do not need any Anti Malware Software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…