Antivirus not clearing all viruses

collinsc 14:05 03 Oct 10

Hi Guys
posting on overload at the mo!

now trying to sort my Dads PC...
He has multiple viruses, we run avast and clear out all the viruses but when you restart there are more viruses, then go through this process again and the viruses are neverending!

as always, advice appreciated

thanks

james105051 14:08 03 Oct 10

Try turning off System Restore, resart in safe mode and run your AV from there.

collinsc 14:11 03 Oct 10

thanks.
why would turning off system restore sort this out?
how does system restore impact on clearing of viruses?

james105051 14:27 03 Oct 10
  STREETWORK 14:28 03 Oct 10

Some nasties can reside within the system restore point and will come back each time you reboot. Its also worth running hijackthis to see if there are any other nasties running...

spaceinvader666 14:41 03 Oct 10

I use pc tools internet security with built in anti virus it has never failed me yet.Does not interfear with any other programs it has a quick inteli scan and a full scan option as well as other features,i find it handy as you can set up what time and date it checks for updates and does the scans there is no limit on how many scans you have a day and if your computers fairly up to date it does not slow it down at all.Yes its about 45 dollars a year but peace of mind and a working hassle free computer is worth it.its invididual taste some will say there are better out there ive tried norton it didnt work with alot of my programs and mcafree missed some of the stuff hope that helps.Sometime in the pc mags they have discount offers for this product and it can be used on upto 3 pcs for the one price.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac