antivirus for linux

loonogs 01:01 13 Apr 09

what is the best antivirus software available for linux or does it really need it ?

i intend to put ubuntu on one of my old pc's and was wondering if i need antivirus software ?

all comments welcome

LastChip 01:35 13 Apr 09

But if you really want to use anti-virus software, clamav is available for most Linux distros including Ubuntu.

Where it can come in handy, is if you are receiving files from a Windows machine and passing them on to another Windows machine. Anti-virus software in these circumstances can filter out infected files, although they are unlikely to affect your Linux computer.

ened 07:22 13 Apr 09

Is it the case that Virus writers do not bother with Linux?

Or is there anti-virus software built into it?

I have never really bothered with it but am becoming increasingly interested and hence the follow up question.

User-1229748 11:00 13 Apr 09

agree with lastchip,anti-virus is not needed with linux read this from the ubuntu forums and it will explain better and then you can decide whether you need securityclick here

iambeavis 11:01 13 Apr 09

Avira AntiVir is available for linux, as is AVG. Many members of click here recommend using anti virus software.

Belatucadrus 11:04 13 Apr 09

click here
avast linux home edition.

loonogs 12:06 13 Apr 09

thanks all

LastChip 17:49 13 Apr 09

This is a tree pronged fork if you like.

1st. There are very few viruses written for Linux and most of those that are, are proof of concepts, and not available in the wild. These are used to improve even further, Linux's resistance to viral attacks. I've personally NEVER heard of a Linux computer becoming infected.

2nd. The way Linux is written (the architecture), makes it extremely difficult to penetrate, hence its widespread use on servers.

3rd. Linux as yet, still has a very low market penetration as far as desktops are concerned (not true for servers), so malicious software writers do not generally see Linux as worth trying to attack. Couple that with the inherent difficulty in attacking Linux and it becomes a "not worth the bother" scenario.

As I said, clamav is designed and available for most mainstream Linux distros if you really want to have anti-virus software installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5