Antivirus Freeware ... eg AVG

JimButler 10:09 10 Dec 06

Interested in hearing from users of free A/Virus software eg AVG. I`ve given too much money and gotten so much grief from both Norton and McAfee.
Both these providers seem IMHO to milk the customer for all he`s worth and again IMHO offer a very short product support lifespan. It can also be a right pain to uninstall their products.
Need to know does AVG do the job ?
Is it reasonably hassle-free ?
Are there any MAJOR downsides to its use ?
Ta very much for any response.

harps1h 10:20 10 Dec 06

i have AVG 7.5 free installed and it seems to work very well, i little or no bother from attacks. i have it combined with the AVG free anti spyware and zonealarm free. i feel perfectly safe.

reece1705 10:44 10 Dec 06

So long as you dont visit any 'dodgy' websites, the free avg antivirus seems to work brilliantly and can detect almost everything, i have not had an infection yet since using it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:44 10 Dec 06

The best Paid for AV is NOD32

Free ones AVG and Avast are equally as good.

Avast4 click here
AVG antivirus click here

Happy Dude 10:53 10 Dec 06

AVG+Spybot+Ad-Aware+Zone Alarm=Clean System :D

Happy Dude 10:53 10 Dec 06

oh, and make that Zone Alarm free ;)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:01 10 Dec 06

AV = Avast
Firewall = Sygate
AS = Defender +Adaware +Spywareblaster
Cleaner = CCleaner

Belatucadrus 11:52 10 Dec 06

Another free clean system

AV = Avast
Firewall = Sunbelt Kerio click here
AS = Spyware Terminator click here + Spywareblaster click here
Cleaner = CCleaner click here

spuds 12:05 10 Dec 06

You do not hear many complaints about AVG or Avast freeware (personal use) programs, so they must be good.

I have used both Avast and Avg on different computers for a number of years. Both work very efficiently.Remember that updates are essential, so as to give better protection.

JimButler 12:45 10 Dec 06

Ta for ALL comments.
I have installed free AVG7.5
It seems to be OK altho scanning did not pick up
2 PUPs that McAfee picked up. This is a small detail tho and if you can save 15 quid ( and more ) each and every year ad-infinitum then I`m VERY content.
I also use Win Defender and Ad-Aware for spyware protection and rely on XP Firewall to give SOME degree of hacking protection.
Ta again for each and every comment.

harps1h 12:56 10 Dec 06

i would suggest you use zone alarm firewall instead of XP's edition as it monitors outgoing traffic also, whereas xp only does incoming.
also you need to tick this resolved if you are happy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5