Antivirus/ Firewall Query

thumbscrew 00:53 28 Nov 09

I'm coming to the end of my Bullguard Antivirus and am keen to try Freebies. I used Avast a few years back and am keen to use it again. A computer technician friend agrees and assures me that the Windows Firewall is more than adequate to accompany it. Has anyone an opinion?

User-1229748 01:05 28 Nov 09

been using the windows firewall with default settings for over 3 years,xp,vista and now windows 7.only been behind router firewall for the last 6 weeks.

rawprawn 08:10 28 Nov 09

click here
This is a new and free program, recommended by many on this forum who have tried it.
I have Kaspersky supplied free, but if not I would definately try this.

thumbscrew 08:58 28 Nov 09

Thanks smackheadz. rawprawn, Microsoft Security Essentials looked interesting, anyone else tried it?

thumbscrew 09:03 28 Nov 09

Oh and one more thing, their on line tutorial states that you have to remove all antispyware programs you have installed. I have Spybot, Malwarebytes and Superantispyware, I use in conjunction. Ergo, I'd have to relinquish them.

rawprawn 10:27 28 Nov 09

I maybe wrong, but I guess that Spybot, Malwarebytes and Superantispyware are OK to use in conjunction with it, but you must remove any other AntiVirus Program
If I were installing I would "Exit" Spybot, Malwarebytes and Superantispyware while installing.
However I am sure someone with experience will put you straight.
mooly is a great exponent of this program, drop him a PM if no nobody can be sure

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:58 28 Nov 09

1, Download
2. Disconnect from Web
3. Uninstall any other Antivirus and firewall
4. Disable any other Antimalware from scanning
5. Install MSE
6. Re-enable any other Antimalware
7. Reconnect to Web

MSE works fine with SpywareBlaster
SuperAntispyware and Malwarebytes Mbam free versions that are NOT real time scanning.

User-1229748 11:56 28 Nov 09

if windows defender is on your pc that does need to be disabled.mse should automatically disable defender in vista and seven,and uninstall it from xp.

thumbscrew 20:42 28 Nov 09

Thanks all...very helpful. I'm torn between MSE and Avast and Windows Firewall. Any opinions?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:55 28 Nov 09

Windows firewall is fine if Vista or above,
XP firewall is one way only.

Avast is good but don't forget you need antispyware as well

thumbscrew 21:07 28 Nov 09

Thanks Fruit Bat, as I posted earlier my computer repair man recommended dumping Bullguard, because he'd removed viruses from several machines supposedly protected by it and I quote..."I would just use Avast and XP Firewall it's plenty good enough and Firewalls are getting less useful as time goes by" Any reaction to that?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now