antivirus firewall causing internet breakdown?

markdavid 18:33 27 Oct 07

Yesterday my router broadband light started to flash quickly and my connection was cut. I had to reconfigure the router using the ISPs helpline, but even though all lights were on, I couldnt connect. According to the helpline, it could well been the firewall in my antivirus programme (Panda). On disabling my antivirus, the router connected perfectly, and after rebooting, all now seems OK. If this happens again, do you think the firewall really could be to blame?
If so, would it be safe (or possible) to disable just that part of the antivirus?
My ISP said it would be OK since the router has a built in firewall anyway. The router is a D-Link G624T for ADSL 2+
Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks.

PalaeoBill 18:49 27 Oct 07

I don't think that this is anything to be concerned about. Panda, like many AV/Firewall packages, is set up to automatically update. Occasionally the update can go awry and something doesn't get set correctly on the dynamic reload. In your case the LAN access was blocked. A hard reboot (cycling the power) and/or clicking the manual update button generally clears this.

To answer your other question. The firewall in your router is probably more than adequate. I use both hardware & software firewalla, many people rely on the just the hardware one and there are even people on this forum who don't use either (they consider that being careful is enough). It is all down to personal choice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos