antivirus and firewall

marilynbell 20:28 30 Sep 03

I posted before about this and have downloaded what you recommended, however I cannot get the programmes to remain active, they come up on the screen and then close down immediately. Iwas running Norton Antivirus and Firewall and they stopped working this morning, they just disappeared from my system tray, and when I cam to try to uninstall them I had a terrible job and had to do it in safe mode. I have had to leave the Norton folder in Windows Explorer as I tried to delete it and then My Computer wouldn't work at all as it said Windows needed a file that was in there. Help Please I've been trying to fix this for hours and am in danger of throwing it throught the window. Plain English please I cant understand technical terms Eternally grateful

Jester2K II 20:31 30 Sep 03

Some viruses can disable Norton Products.

Try a HouseCall Virus scan online click here

Can you post the link to the previous thread please.

Jester2K II 20:32 30 Sep 03

Ignore that link (another thread)

Use

click here

marilynbell 20:40 30 Sep 03

I'm running the scan now I ran Norton online scan earlier on and that didn't come up with anything

marilynbell 20:48 30 Sep 03

Found something already called BKDR OPTIXPRO.13 and it's in the system files and says it's not cleanable

wags 21:08 30 Sep 03

I believe that this is a back door trojan - Troj/optixTool click here for advice on removal

wags 21:18 30 Sep 03

Sorry, that link is only really useful if you run sophos AV (as I do)...as you will need to run this programme.

marilynbell 21:22 30 Sep 03

Ok they've told me to open the windows task manager but what is that exactly as I can't find it Help

marilynbell 22:08 30 Sep 03

Thanks for all your help I went into System in safe mode found the file and deleted it and now everything is back to normal, got my antivirus and firewall working. I'm very grateful to you all

Jester2K II 22:26 30 Sep 03

click here

The Trojan attempts to disable some antivirus and firewall programs by terminating the active processes.

Also Start Changing Passwords....

Backdoor.OptixPro.10 obtains access to the password cache that is stored on the local computer. The cached passwords include modem and dial-up passwords, URL passwords, share passwords, and others.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…