Antivirus and Firewall

marilynbell 17:10 30 Sep 03

Can anyone recommend a good FREE antivirus and a firewall programme for some reason my Norton has stopped responding and I need something as a stopgap Many Thanks

Belatucadrus 17:18 30 Sep 03

Anti Virus :-

Alwils avast4 ! click here This has the best results on the Virus Bulletin tests click here for any free anti virus. The scan scheduler is disabled, but you can set it to scan during screensaver, updates are incremental and fully automatic. Highly recommended.
Grisofts AVG 6.0 click here currently has Virus bulletin 100% click here but pass history not as good as avast. Used to be included on PCA cover disks, so is most common option used here, has equally vociferous supporters and detractors. Current commercial version is AVG 7.0. In my opinion 6.0 is beginning to creak a bit, but still a sound product.
H+BEDVs Antivir click here has never passed the Virus bulletin tests click here. No limitations to functionality and has support via Antivir forum. Not the easiest program to set up, with slow scan and large update downloads. Functional and not my first choice, but can be seen on PCA cover disks, so may pick up more users.
Softwins Bitdefender 7.0 click here the standard edition has passed the Virus Bulletin 100% click here but this brings me to the problem with Bitdefender free, avast and AVG have some of the advanced scheduling features pruned, inconvenient but not a real problem. Softwin has chosen to disable Bitdefenders On line access, real time scanning feature. This would appear to significantly reduce the level of protection provided and relegates Bitdefender to a low fourth.
Microworlds Free eScan Antivirus toolkit click here an on demand scanner only, but also picks up spyware, dialers keyloggers and other bits, so may be of interest as a backup.

Remember to delete Norton before installing any replacement.

Firewall :-

Kerio2 click here Sygate click here ZoneAlarm click here Outpost free click here All good bits of software.

roygbiv 17:47 30 Sep 03

antivirus = AVG

firewall = Kerio

dont forget XP has a (very basic) firewall built in.

marilynbell 18:54 30 Sep 03

Thanks a lot

timothywilliam 19:59 30 Sep 03

Whats the matter with Norton nowadays ??

I can't even renew my Firewall subs. Don't they want the business or are they just lazy ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…