Antivirus, download v disk

Sparky3327 16:00 05 Oct 06

If I bought an anti-virus program from a shop in a box, would it be as effective as one I downloaded?
I've tried to download the latest McAfee stuff but it won't load and I'm riddled with viruses.
I've used AVG but it's not effective against some stuff.
If I bought a boxed one will it just be an exe file which downloads it off the internet anyway?
Cheers,
Grezza

Totally-braindead 16:12 05 Oct 06

No it shouldn't be. If you buy a boxed anti virus program then the only thing it should download is the updates, the full program will be on the disk.

Totally-braindead 16:16 05 Oct 06

If you have all the disks you need and the computer is as badly affected as you say have you considered blanking it and doing a fresh install?
My concern is installing an anti virus program on a PC which is already riddled with viruses which may effect the program before it is even installed.
Leave this thread open as hopefully someone will advise better on what to do next.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:52 05 Oct 06

'I've used AVG but it's not effective against some stuff.'...I;ve used AVG for 4 years and run a mail list of 90+ users. No-one has had a problem. Could you say what these problems were?

G

Pineman100 17:08 05 Oct 06

Have you tried cleaning up your computer with a free online scan? Try this one: click here

It's also worth checking for spyware: click here

If you can get the machine pretty clean, then you should be able to install either a download or a cd-based AV program.

Fingees 17:13 05 Oct 06

I would suggest a Windows live scan

click here

It tyakes a while, but well worth it

Sparky3327 13:43 06 Oct 06

Fingees, Windows Live Scan really is the dog's isn't it?!!
Hopefully I'm clean now and can get on with my life.
Thanks to everyone who helped out.
Grezza.

palinka 18:57 07 Oct 06

Remember that even if you buy a new AV in a box it still needs updating as soon as you've installed it, so in that sense it's no better than one you download.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac