//some 3rd party need geo

Antivirus advice please

drdeath 00:02 23 Jan 04

i recently had a virus called RPC wheras as soon as i put my computer on , i had a countdown of 1 minute b4 my computer completely shutdown altogether!! being a novice to virus'es,i installed norton antivirus 2002 from microsoft then i was informed i needed to keep it updated so i downloaded a liveupdatewhich downloaded updates to the following symantec products.
livereg
norton a-virus 2002
norton a-virus virus definitions
symantec redirector
symevent
im confused!!! has this updated the norton 2002 antivirus program for me?? any comments or advice would be grateful regards

johnnyrocker 00:07 23 Jan 04

forget and uninstall norton click here and get a free one which many of the posters in here use also click here for spyware protection followed by spy bot click here and you should be at least half way to getting secure.

johnny.

cycoze 00:08 23 Jan 04

Yes it has updated , the "definitions" are the important thing , remember to regularly update them as the program will only be as good as it`s last update .

johnnyrocker 00:10 23 Jan 04

one can configure avg to update at the most convenient time of day.

johnny.

jessie .x..x.x 00:11 23 Jan 04

you have a virus on your pc called " the blaster worm".

To remove it go to -

click here

and download the program available on the site which will remove this worm forever.

be quick though, as after about 2 minutes your pc because it is infected with the virus will turn off your pc in about 2 minutes

jes xxx

johnnyrocker 00:17 23 Jan 04

just goes to show the vulnerability of norton, this is because worm/virus writers attack norton first to get in.

johnny.

DieSse 00:25 23 Jan 04

In this case it was a vulnerability in Windows, not Norton or any other AV.

MS issued an update to fix this before the blaster worm appeared - which just goes to show it IS necessary to install critical updates to get the best protection. Also a competent firewall could have helped prevent the worm from getting in.

So, drdeath, what you reqwuire is also to update your windows, and to install a sensible firewall, to help avoid such problems in the future.

cycoze 00:28 23 Jan 04

As drdeath said "recently had" i assumed it had been cleared , also as RPC/Blaster gave "a countdown of 1 minute b4 my computer completely shutdown" , it would seem safe to assume that to download AV updates it had been cleared , as these would have taken more than a minute .

drdeath 00:36 23 Jan 04

It took an hour to update my windows of the norton 2002 anti-virus. Do i click on the 'liveupdate' icon on the start/programs/norton av program to regularly keep the av updated???

cycoze 00:46 23 Jan 04

Yes you do drdeath , better still if you look in the `options` of the program there should be an auto update facility you can set .

As DieSse said you do need to download critical updates from Microsoft to patch any holes .

ventanas 08:27 23 Jan 04

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but before you run any fix to remove Blaster you must turn off System restore, or it will come back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…