Antivirus?

swanny2 18:36 25 Mar 07

Iwas told on here Antivir was a Antivirus Programe,yet ive just installed Zone alarm turned there AV,off. yet when i start zone alarm,its telling me i have no Antivirus Protection. Do i wish too use theres..
I can see Antivir running in my tray at bottom of me window. im baffled is it a Antivirus programe or not(Antivir)
thanks.

Totally-braindead 19:01 25 Mar 07

Sorry but what you've written doesn't make sense to me.
You say you had Antivir installed, then said you installed Zone Alarm which is a firewall and turned there AV off. What do you mean you turned there AV off? Zone Alarm is a free Firewall its nothing to do with anti virus unless you've installed zone alarm anti virus as well.

To be honest I'm confused. What exactly do you have installed? Which zone alarm is it, the firewall or the anti virus? You don't have 2 anti virus programs installed do you?

swanny2 19:04 25 Mar 07

yes Brains ive installed ZA and using the Free 15 day trial .where u can use there antivirus free as well ,and it detected i had no antivirus programme runnig..
Yet i have Antivir.. thats what i mean . if it makes sense too u .. :O)

swanny2 19:05 25 Mar 07

so ive deactivated ANTIVIR AFTER ZA said i had no programe running weird. eh..

skidzy 19:06 25 Mar 07

What Totally-braindead is saying...only one Antivirus to one machine,otherwise you will receive conflicts.

Remove one of the AV's

Totally-braindead 19:13 25 Mar 07

Yes skidzy that is what I was meaning. I was unsure from what was said whether we were talking about the zone alarm anti virus or firewall - hence I was a bit confused.

If you have 2 anti virus programs installed and running they will both try to do the same job at the same time, the result is lockups perhaps and both the AV programs not working properly.
Choose one and uninstall the other.

One anti virus, one firewall and perhaps two antispyware.

skidzy 19:19 25 Mar 07

HI TB,i agree it does sound a bit of a muddle,but i think we have the basics now.

I would say the best combination of firewall and free av would have to be either:

Zonealarm free + Avg free
Zonealarm free + Avast

Thats my preference,but im sure others have there's.

Totally-braindead 19:26 25 Mar 07

I use AVG anti virus and zone alarm firewall as well as AVG anti spyware and AdAware anti spyware.
All are free but notice swanny2 I only have one firewall and one antivirus.

swanny2 19:39 25 Mar 07

yes thanks chaps i get the idea now. one was telling the other its not working.conflicting one another like you said. cheers . mate . sorted. :O)

swanny2 19:49 25 Mar 07

Can some 1 explain how i turn windows firewall off tho please. do i put a dot in the antivirus box or firewall,because ive got this Za running now. thanks

Totally-braindead 20:02 25 Mar 07

Go to Control Panel, Security Centre and click on the Manage Security Settings for Windows Firewall, a box will come up and you just disable it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…