Antivirus

swanny2 22:48 14 Aug 05

ive just bought Norton Antivirus 2002 from a car boot for a £1 all boxed an everything i was just wondering if its ok too still use on me pc ..or is it too old.?
ty any help cheers :O)

stalion 22:57 14 Aug 05

it's to old download this free for home users
click here

Tim1964 23:53 14 Aug 05

With so many excellent free anti-virus progs around there really is no need to ever pay for it.

I believe that Avast got top marks in one PC mag but AVG (my choice) got top marks in another.

Jackcoms 08:11 15 Aug 05

It's NOT too old.

I still use it and pay the £30.00 (ish) per annum subscription.

The fact that it's 2002 is irrelevant - by paying the subscription I can still download the same anti-virus definitions that the 2003, 2004 and 2005 versions use.

The latest version might have a few more bells and whistles than the 2002 version - but as long as you keep the definitions up to date it will still do the same job.

swanny2 16:11 15 Aug 05

can i still use it for a year without paying any subscription?

Jackcoms 16:28 15 Aug 05

I doubt it.

However - install it, connect to the internet, hit update and find out.

It will either update the virus definitions or demand money!

If it demands money you can choose to subscribe - about £30 for a year as I said earlier - and then it will allow you to update.

Totally-braindead 19:08 15 Aug 05

swanny2 you probably can still use it, you install it and run it for a year and after that you have to pay for the updates, it about £20 a year BUT because its so old if you do get into trouble Norton will not help as they no longer support it as I discovered at the beginning of the year. Basically a virus got in mucked up the anti virus, I asked Norton for help and they said the money I paid was for being able to download the updates but they would not help as they no longer supported it. Because of this I moved to AVG, its free and has daily updates instead of Nortons weekly ones. Up to you but I think you'd be better off with one of the free ones.

Belatucadrus 19:47 15 Aug 05

Anti virus updates come in two flavours, new virus signatures to enable the program to identify new nasties and where necessary program updates to enable the program to deal with the new threat.
Simply installing virus signatures to an unsupported old variant anti virus will enable it to detect, but not necessarily do anything about a new threat, as unsupported versions don't get the necessary development work to update them. So IMHO installing any unsupported AV isn't a good idea, as it can't clear all current threats. Either use one of the free packages suggested or if you really must cough up for a commercial license, get an OEM package click here

swanny2 22:28 15 Aug 05

cheers all i will download avg . ty again . :O)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…