AntiVir - email scanning

henry_ford 16:49 11 Apr 06

Does AntiVir (free version) scan emails and their attachments? If so, where and how?

I have just changed from AVG free anti virus as the May 2006 PC Advisor rates AntiVir to be better.

Thanks

gudgulf 18:23 11 Apr 06

No it doesn't....you will need the paid for version to do that.

However it does not leave you without protection from email attachment nasties.You will find that any file that opens will be scanned by the real time scanner.

So the difference is that instead of routinely scanning an email as it arrives,the free version will only scan any file that attempts to open.....click on an attachment and any virus it contains will be detected by the real time scanner.

You could also try Avast which I prefer to both AVG and AntiVir............All three pass the VB100% test.It is only on heuristic scanning where AVG and Avast fall behind AntiVir.

Belatucadrus 18:23 11 Apr 06

I don't think it does, there's no reference to e-mail scan in the user manual and POP3 coverage is on the list of extra features if you pay for the premium version.
Not disputing the PCA results for Antivir 6 in a head to head of the scanning engine, but compared with AVG and avast! the latest freebie, number 7 ( Not the one that got tested by the way ). Is a bit light on features, some of them I'd expect to have. Not I think an upgrade on the other options.

pennyben 19:43 11 Apr 06

AntiVir does not scan email but if you open a suspect file it will pick it up straight away. AntiVir real time protection and scanner is better than AVG or Avast as many will agree, and some not.

If you are concerned about this I assume you are using Outlook Express? Perhaps your ISP already scans your email for a virus, if not why not change to another email client?

Anyway give AntiVir a go it is well worth it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…