antistatic gloves

billy the fish 16:31 17 May 06

to settle an arguement,is it possible to use latex gloves instead of antistatic gloves when working on the inside of a pc??? i would say no....theres a fiver at stake & dont want to lose

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:36 17 May 06

Yes you can but Latex can cause rashes and there is no reason why you should need to wear them. Just use an anti-static strap or place your bare feet on a towel (cotton). When working on my own computers I have never used any anti-static straps in 6 years and there has never been a problem...when working on other people's computers I do wear a strap. I have a feeling that static is over-rated ;-))

rawprawn 17:10 17 May 06

I have never bothered with either, I always press the on button twice after disconnecting the machine, and I keep touching a metal part of the innards with a screwdiver (Which I am usually using) So far I have suffered no ill effects. I agree with GANDALF <|:-)> I think the static problem is over rated.

Stuartli 17:20 17 May 06

Touch the case chassis first to get rid of any static and handle components using the main back plate bracket.

It's also advisable to turn the system off at the mains (and PSU if you wish) and leave the mains plug in to maintain earthing.

Totally-braindead 17:25 17 May 06

I just earth myself prior to going inside the PC, in all the time I've been doing this I've yet to have a problem.

billy the fish 11:55 19 May 06

thanks very much a fiver down :¬(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…