Anti-Virus/Firewall?

R.C.M. 21:23 04 Apr 06

Can someone tell me the difference between an anti-virus program and a firewall - do you need both? At the moment I have Ad-ware, AVG, CCleaner and Reg-Scrub - do I need anything else? I used to have Windows XP [home] SP2 but had problems powering down so I have removed the SP2 and went back to SP1, leaving myself without the protection of the SP2 programs.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

SG Atlantis® 21:36 04 Apr 06

yes you need both.

anti-virus detects virus/trojans that get on your system a firewall stops things getting in or out of your system.

I use:

AVG = anti virus
Ad-aware = anti spyware
Spybot S & D = anti spyware
Zone Alarm free edition. = firewall

CCLEANER is a utility that cleans junk files out.

You should have ONE anti-virus and ONE firewall. You can have as many anti-spyware programs as your heart desires.

SG Atlantis® 21:40 04 Apr 06

You really wanna get SP2 back on there.

Some links

click here ZA free

click here spybot

click here Javacools SpywareBlaster

R.C.M. 21:41 04 Apr 06

Many thanks for that advice, I will have a look at Zone Alarm.

ade.h 21:43 04 Apr 06

Kerio is better, quite frankly. The free version is very functional click here

R.C.M. 21:47 04 Apr 06

I would like to have kept the SP2 but could not fix the power off problem. When I tried to follow some of the advice it was too technical for me and I 'crashed' my computer 3 times and had to do a re stall. I'm glad I kept my files on an external hard drive so did not loose them. I got fed up and decided to take SP2 off - do you think I should just put up with the power down problem? I did like SP2

ade.h 21:59 04 Apr 06

You need SP2. Period.

R.C.M. 22:09 04 Apr 06

I think I could live with the hassle of having to use the on/off switch to turn the computer off.

I could have SP2 up and running in no time, I'm just a bit 'picky' at wanting my computer to function right.

SG Atlantis® 22:11 04 Apr 06

Start a new thread on this sp2 problem, someone will guide you through it. There are too many security holes and vulnerabilites without SP2.

ade.h 22:11 04 Apr 06

I have my power switch set to shutdown the PC (as opposed to cutting the power or hibernating), but I prefer it that way as it's quicker than Start > Turn Off > Turn Off (again)! So I don't see it as a hassle.

SG Atlantis® 22:18 04 Apr 06

ade.h I do the same.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…