Anti -Virus\ Trojans

PIPPIE 15:59 19 Nov 03

I have been using AVG anti-virus for quite a time now, and a few days ago it reported that there were 14 file affected with the Dialer Trojan these files are C:\_RESTORE\TEMP\AO334440.CPY etc, therefore AVG asks if you want them healed I click OK it then goes through the process then recommends that the files are removed to the vault when I hit the button a message appears saying that these files cannot be moved, and the programme freezes, I have uninstalled and reinstalled but same thing happens ,so I installed the eScan programme that was provided with PCA's latest issue and this is showing that there are no viruses, I have also downloaded a programme called Trojan remover but this is also showing that there is no problem, as anybody any suggestions please

johnnyrocker 16:05 19 Nov 03

depends on your os but if you disable system restore you will find them there after a scan, sys restore if applicable in your case should always be disabled when cleansing for todays variants.

Jester2K II 16:28 19 Nov 03

Turn off Second Chance and flush the backups. Its trapped there. Second Chance has backed the virus up, AVG can detect it but Second Chance stops the AVG from deleting it. Maybe eScan can't detect the virus in the Second Chance folders...

Jester2K II 16:32 19 Nov 03

Sorry - its not Second Chance. Turn System Restore Off, Reboot, Scan with AVG and switch System, restore on again as per johnnyrocker

johnnyrocker 16:33 19 Nov 03

i would think they are hidden and e scan may well not scan hidden? is second chance same as sys restore?

Jester2K II 16:36 19 Nov 03

johnnyrocker - I think the fact is that AVG scans hidden folders and eScan doesn't maybe the reason why one picks it up and the other doesn't.

Second Chance - third party System Restore type thing usually found on Tiny PCs.

PIPPIE 11:15 20 Nov 03

Jester2K II

Thank you for your help I checked Restore and found that it had been DISABLED,
I thought I would enable it then run AGV to see if it made any difference and sure enough AGV confirmed that all was OK, so it seems that it also gives the same problem the opposite way round or does, Restore hold onto these files, and if so how do you get rid of them,AVG states you must remove them in MS_DOS MODE,

The Spires 13:07 20 Nov 03

You can remove all but the last Restore file in 'Disk Cleanup' then select drive(s). Go to 'More Options' Tab, then 'System Restore' Section/'Clean Up'.

PIPPIE 18:04 20 Nov 03

Thank you The Spires, I have been through that procedure on a regular basis
with Window Washer, I have also just carried out Disk Cleanup on your suggestion and thought while I was at it, I would Disabled Restore once again , rebooted and carried out a scan with AVG
also this time it has confirmed that no Viruses were found .so I am pleased to say that it looks like the problem has been solved thanks all once again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…