Anti Virus & Spyware combination

hawthorn59 11:35 30 Dec 06

Some of you probably saw my thread on which combination of programmes I should get. So, anyway, Norton Internet Security is gone having reached the end of the free trial period. Heres what i have at the moment

NOD 32
Spybot
Adaware

Ok I probably need more than that. A few queries so far though:

1 NOD 32 Just have it a day or so, I dont think it would win any prizes for ease uf use. I mean, its difficult to even find the scan button compared to Norton. Also I cant see anywhere for to set up an auto scan etc. I dont quite know what to do with it!

2 It did find 58 "problems" at least I think they were. I find it difficult to interpret the results. They werent viruses. There was something about a folder or files being locked?? Im sorry I should have the details, maybe I'll scan again and post seperately.

3 Spybot found around 60 items too. One of these mentioned Firefox (which I use). Should I "fix" all these? Again for a novice very hard to know what to do.

h

skidzy 12:54 30 Dec 06

Always create a system restore point first if unsure about the program results.Once you have ran the apps a few times,im sure you will have a better understanding of the results.

If you do decide to scan again and post the results,make sure you stick to this thread for best advice.

Most apps throw up a false positive occasionly but as most will agree these apps are pretty safe to use if used with a little common sense.

Let the programs do there job,and if in doubt...create a system restore point first.

gudgulf 13:02 30 Dec 06

Follow this guide to getting the best out of NOD32

click here

he settings listed might not be the ones you end upchoosing,but following the guide through will get you familiar with NODs interface and all the settings.

birdface 13:09 30 Dec 06

Good selection,I would add Kerio Firewall, and A.V.G anti-Spyware,And A Squared just as a standby.If you are still using Windows Firewall, I would move to kerio, {in easy mode]Just download it and it works just like Windows,Very seldom get any pop up requests from it,So easy to use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…