anti virus software downloads will not install

westgolf 27 Nov 12

I am running W7.When I download anti-virus software , the download completes but it will not install, goes through the entire install process until the very end & then says there is an error , any ideas please.

onthelimit1 27 Nov 12

Make sure you are installing the correct version ie, 64 bit or 32 bit.

westgolf 27 Nov 12

Thanks for this, it now seems I cant download ( & install) anything, I get to the very end of installation & then it says, windows is closing,? please help, what have I got going on with this computer ? everything was fine until I downloaded Avast antivirus (which was so slow in use) , but that stopped working, so I uninstalled it, but the program files for avast will not uninstall, & I have used their own uninstaller, I can download any software to "save" but it wont install ?

rdave13 27 Nov 12

Avast are having problems lately, especially with Windows 8 so they are trying to fix it. The last update caused XP to reboot to save Windows but was ok afterwards. You need to run Avast's removal tool in safe mode. Do you have the aswclear.exe file? If so run it in safe mode.

westgolf 28 Nov 12

I am unable to download piriform - with the same issues as avg, it gets to the very end of installation & then I get this message; unable to install as the installer has stopped working.I also get ; set up error,msi action failed, I also notice that in my x86 program files there is still an avg folder that wont remove / delete, it says ; cant delete as a file or folder is open in another program ? , close the folder to complete. I am not aware of what is open ? as I dont have avg on the computer to use (as far as I am aware) ? it says it is avg pc tune up ?any further suggestions please

iscanut2 28 Nov 12

Try Googling "Windows Installer repair" I think there is a Microsoft program that will repair the installer. Worth a try !

westgolf 28 Nov 12

every download I attempt of any registry repairer - fails at the install stage, saying the program has stopped working - or IE has stopped working , all spyware scans show nothing (running as administrator) , what next please ???

rdave13 29 Nov 12

Try a system restore to before you changed your antivirus.

westgolf 29 Nov 12

Thanks Dr Yes, none of the MS fixes would download as compatible with W7, the other problems/programs download - did nothing ... somehow ... windows security essentials (download) appeared on my screen & would download ... once run as a quick scan all was sorted, the computer is once again a racing machine ? all is now perfect, all new downloads do complete & are fine, I just wonder why avast & malwarebytes & spybot did not show up anything or enable me to sort anything out ?? My Thanks & appreciation to all responses.

westgolf 30 Nov 12

all was fine, then I turned the pc off & restarted a few hours later & all is wrong again, the dvd player will not run any disc ? I have the original download problems - the download completes but the further install fails at the last moment, I have lost some desktop icons, any suggestions please ? Ms security essentials does not show up anything & it will update. Thanks.

rdave13 30 Nov 12

To be honest you seem to have AVG and Avast on your Pc. That's through reading this thread. Then you install WSE. That worked ok until reboot.

You stated you had Avast on your machine and that you used their uninstaller.

I'll ask again, did you run aswclear.exe in safe mode as advised by Aswil?

Having AVG also, did you run their uninstaller tool? Not familiar with AVG you will have to google it.

Too many security programs, especially antivirus type, can knacker your system.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Encore creates eerie effects for Spielberg's new TV show The Whispers

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message