Is Anti-virus software causing a slow down?

zorgalite 11:11 29 Jan 05

Recently I had problems with things(adware) which had attached themselves to my computer,(pop ups, modified toolbars, etc, and decided the best way to get rid was to do a system restore.
Did this and installed Norton systemworks 2005, but now, thigs appear to be very slowed down.
My system is Win98, and the computer has P3 processor (450Mhz), 64mb RAM(in properties, it says 65% recources availible), and 12Gb hard disk.Also, on the start up menu, there is Trend PC-cilin98. Could this also be causing a problem? Also when I istalled the Norton, it prompted me to install MS Internet Explorer(ver 6.0)from the files on the disc, which I did, but is my machine too out of date to support this?

VoG II 11:14 29 Jan 05

If you have PC-cillin running at the same time as Norton, this could be causing a slow-down. You should only run one anti-virus program at a time.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:32 29 Jan 05

I have removed Norton from over 5 computers...read into this what you will. personally I would put AVG and click here and you will have no problems.

G

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:39 29 Jan 05

Norton is notorious for hogging resources.

Will really slow you down if low on memory etc. to start with.

zorgalite 17:53 29 Jan 05

Thank you all for your response. Think I might persist with the Norton for the time being, as I'd rather have a slow machine than one full of viruses, and addware.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…