Anti-Virus Protection Software Needed

Mad Boy 18:25 28 Sep 03

HI! a while back i had to format my pc losing Mcafee (and the disk due to moving :() and have been using something called AVG. But i feel that it isnt protecting my computer at all. When i do a scan it freezes all the time. I tried installing a CDcover version of Mcafee and it said it would conflict with Zonealarm! What should i do?

Should i look for a new firewall that Mcafee wont conflict with, leave everything as it is (which i dont want to) or look for a good freeware anti-virus protection.

Thanks for your help

palinka 18:52 28 Sep 03

Use AVG from Grisoft - umpteen references to it in this Forum. Easy to use and to understand and it does the job; need one say more.

palinka 18:53 28 Sep 03

Oops, sorry; didn't read properly so missed that you've already tried AVG.

expertec 18:55 28 Sep 03

you could try click here

expertec 18:56 28 Sep 03
  -pops- 19:07 28 Sep 03

Be careful you don't have multiple antivirus programs all installed at the same time.

Belatucadrus 20:05 28 Sep 03

Alwils avast4 ! click here This has the best results on the Virus Bulletin tests click here for any free anti virus. The scan scheduler is disabled, but you can set it to scan during screensaver, updates are incremental and fully automatic. Highly recommended.
Grisofts AVG 6.0 you don't like so forget that.
H+BEDVs Antivir click here has never passed the Virus bulletin tests click here. No limitations to functionality and has support via Antivir forum. Not the easiest program to set up, with slow scan and large update downloads. Functional but not my first choice.
Softwins Bitdefender 7.0 click here the standard edition has passed the Virus Bulletin 100% click here but this brings me to the problem with Bitdefender free, avast and AVG have some of the advanced scheduling features pruned, inconvenient but not a real problem. Softwin has chosen to disable Bitdefenders On line access, real time scanning feature. This would appear to significantly reduce the level of protection provided and relegates Bitdefender to a low fourth.
Microworlds Free eScan Antivirus toolkit click here an on demand scanner only, but also picks up spyware, dialers keyloggers and other bits, so may be of interest as a backup

TommyRed 20:09 28 Sep 03

Users on this forum seem to have an affinity with AVG, I'm one of them. Try and uninstall and re-install AVG, ensuring all programs are not running during the install. This should prevent the install becoming corrupt. Also install a firewall, I use Outpost click here make sure you choose the free version and as pops said make sure you don't have any other AV or firewall programs running at the same time as AVG and Outpost. HTH TR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…