Anti-virus protection

boon_intheuk 10:53 15 Dec 09

Hi all, I will try and keep this short and sweet. I have my main computer running Vista connected to a router with a cable, my sons PC runing XP connects with wireless dongle and a laptop running Vista the same.
A little while back my son went on his computer having not been on it for several weeks, it appeared that it was connecting to the wireless network without the aid of its normal software application. I then updated the AVG free on it and it found a list of Trojan horses, Dialers, downloader.generic7, several downloader.keenvals.droppers. AVG got rid of them and then told me to reboot (thats never happened to me before), on restart the PC connected as usual with its application (one of the trojan horses had been found in the wireless dongle software folder. But I was concerned about the main PC being affected (I dont know much about virus's), I always keep AVG up to date and regular scans on it, but I ran an extra scan, it found nothing. I saw "malwarebytes" progran mentioned on this site and installed it, it found two or three trojan horses that AVG had not. It has made me very wary of logging into sites like online banking etc, even Ebay!
I guess my question is this:
If AVG free, malwarebytes and Ccleaner come up clean, is my computer safe to use as normal? Thank you.

birdface 11:08 15 Dec 09

Maybe use the pay for version of Malwarebytes or add A squared or Superantispyware may help.
C Cleaner is not a security program.
Spywareblaster is also recommended.

birdface 11:11 15 Dec 09

Try updating and running Malwarebytes in safe mode and see if it still comes up clean.If so you have a good chance that your computer is clean and safe to use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…