Anti Virus Problems

stu1901 13:59 18 Feb 03

I have Norton Systemworks 2001 on Windows ME. The program was running correctly so i tried to uninstall it. It couldnt complete uninstalling it, and now when ever i try to uninstall it, it says cant uninstall because its unable to locate a certain file. So i try to install the software again. Everytime it freezes during installing and doesnt complete it. And now when ever i turn the computer on after the setup screens appear, a reb box in a blue screen aappears saying about Norton Anti Virus problem. The computer doesnt contiue loading up until i press centre. I thin when onto the Norton website and printed instructions on how to uninstall in safe mode. When i tried to open the registry menu it automatically closed it. This happened every time i tried to open it.

I then bought McAfee Virus Scan Version 6.0 hoping for more success. When i put the CD in it advised to uninstall Norton, I press ok and the same error messages came up as before. So next time i chose not to uninstall Norton, and carried on installing McAfee.

It installed fine, I went to open the program, as soon as the window came up it closed again. Same thing happened everytime. I went on McAfee's website and tried the Live Technician Chat. It didnt help.

Any ideas or solutions?

Thanks

€dstow 14:21 18 Feb 03

Can you revert to a restore point before this happened?

Did you remove the Norton via Add/Remove Programs or its own uninstall facility? If the former, this may be the cause of the problem.

This has come up before on here and I think the answer was obtained from Norton but I can't remember the detail. Perhaps if you do a search, you will be able to turn it up.

€d

Dave Bowman 14:45 18 Feb 03

Ignore the title of the thread on this link. there are some links in the thread which may help to remove the Norton problem.

click here

€dstow 14:55 18 Feb 03

That's the one, Dave!!

No wonder I couldn't locate it.

€d

Dave Bowman 15:01 18 Feb 03

No prob's.
I should be at work but the course finished early.

stu1901 15:07 18 Feb 03

thanks, i found a different thread and resolved my problem. Noton is now completly uninstalled and i dont get the Red and Blue window when i turn on the computer

BUT.....

I uninstalled, then reinstalled McAfee. The same thing happened as before it opens for a split second then closes!!

€dstow 15:12 18 Feb 03

I think you would still be best if you can restore to a time before you installed McAfee (even if you can't go as far as Norton uninstallation). There may be something in the registry or somewhere like that which as a memory of McAfee being installed before. I remember I had loads of problems with that program. So much so that I threw it out and now use AVG.

€d

stu1901 15:14 18 Feb 03

do you think i should uninstall Mcafee, then re install Norton?

€dstow 15:30 18 Feb 03

My views of Norton are worse than McAfee!!

This is my view:

If you can restore to a point before all this happened - that would be best and then do the uninstall of Norton. If that isn't possible, at least restore to before McAfee, go through the Norton uninstall again then re-install McAfee (if you must).

You might be best waiting a while until someone more knowledgeable than me comes along and either agrees with me or gives a better solution. In any case, though, you now know how to remove Norton!!

€d

Dave Bowman 15:31 18 Feb 03

As €dstow suggests you have remnants of McAfee in your registry which could now be causing you problems. Buried in the McAfee help pages there are instructions for the removal of McAfee from the registry in Windows Me, Unfortunately I did not take a copy of the link, sorry.
As to which one you should use, I have never used McAfee so can not comment on the 'best' one for you to use.

stu1901 15:47 18 Feb 03

i dont know how to restore, and dont want to do anything to my computer!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…