Anti-Virus and Mobile Broadband

sometimelater 18:46 17 Jun 09

I have a PentiumIV with 768MB of memory running XP SP2.
For a while now my antivirus set-up consisted of ZoneAlarm firewall, Lavasoft Ad-Aware for spyware, ThreatFire for realtime behaviour protection and BitDefender10 for on-demand scanning. All are free versions that I got from PC Advisor's DVDs. I never had internet access but did download open-source software from public computers at my local library which I then scanned before installing.
Recently though I have connected to the internet via a 3 PAYG dongle, and my antivirus set-up seemed fine. However my BitDefender Free licence sneaked up on me and expired the other week. I took the opportunity to remove BitDefender and install something else (still free stuff, mind you, and that's not going to change.) I decided on AVG 8.0 as that Link Scanner thing sounded good. Of course I quickly found out I had to remove Ad-Aware to install it but it seemed like a decent trade off. Unfortunately, as well as being excruciatingly slow I suddenly found that I could no longer access the internet, even when I turned all the features off. Bizarrely I COULD access the My3 site (which is a "free" section of 3's website where you top up and view your account) but for the rest of the web IE7 displayed that page unavailable message while Firefox said "Done" as if the page had loaded but the screen was completely blank.
One System Restore later my Internet access returned so I assumed the problem was AVG and I then installed Avast instead. But the same thing happened again! I just removed Avast rather than a System Restore and that solved the problem. Given that BitDefender worked before, I had a go at reinstalling that but that failed (I'm not quite sure if you're allowed to re-install the "free" version). The link downloaded about 60MB of something but then declared that the file "bdfree.msi" was "missing" and sure enough no such file was on my hard disk.
So now I'm not sure what to do. Was the problem with the antivirus software or is it a glitch in the 3Connect software or that curious WilogApp thing that runs?
Will there be any (free!) antivirus software that WILL install correctly and work or am I now stuck with what I've got left?
And is ZoneAlarm, Ad-Aware and ThreatFire enough protection?

Yes, I know, far too many questions but any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Terry Brown 19:59 17 Jun 09

It could be that you have too much protection and they are all fighting each other.

Does your computer require third pary software to access the internet, i.e. motherboard drivers-- These may have become corupted- try re-installing.

If you have a XP CD put the CD in the drive and from run enter sfc /scannow (note the space). this will restore the XP defaults on your computer, and this may cure the problem.

BDFREE.msi is part of the AVG program, and this may be causing the problem-- If you do not use AVG now you can delete it (at your own risk).

I also suggest you run a Reg Cleaner. I have always found regscrubXP to be reliable, however there are others freely available.
Terry

woodchip 20:02 17 Jun 09

You should only use one Anti-Virus. I use Free Avast and only use the Router Firewall. Never have any problems. But if you surf bad sites you should also have a Software Firewall and Malaware detection and cleaner

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…