anti virus

bunger 13:15 28 Sep 08

I recently found i had a nasty virus so i went out and bought yhe latest NORTON anti virus program. It seems to have sorted it out.I aso had atrial version of the KASPERSKY program which i am led to beleive is abetter program. My question is does it matter how many anti virus programes you use at the same time?Ialso notice in the latest issue of P C ADVISOR there is a full program of internet security.

Technotiger 13:18 28 Sep 08

Yes it does matter - as a general rule, only one Anti-virus but as many anti-malware etc as you like.
You could have two Anti-virus on your PC, but never use both at the same time! One should be enough anyway, along with the other security programs available.

palinka 13:21 28 Sep 08

ONLY ONE antivirus at a time - otherwise they conflict with each other.

What were you using before Norton? (I assume you were using some sort of AV)
REmember that whichever AV program you use it will be no use (ie won't keep nasties off your PC) unless you update it regularly. I advise people I help to update daily.

wee eddie 14:58 28 Sep 08

Anti Virus programs maintain a Background presence, so even if you are only using one, having two installed is a recipe for conflict and the possibility of the operational AV not being able to identify a threat.

My recommendation would to remove all but one AV. Norton requires a Special Tool, available free from it's site, to remove it. The general opinion is, "Use anything other than Norton" as it slows your system down.

However Norton is very good at it's job, and even though it does slow your System down, many people are prepared to accept that and millions of PC's, all over the world, are protected by it.

RobCharles1981 15:04 28 Sep 08

bunger

"I recently found i had a nasty virus so i went out and bought the latest NORTON anti virus program"

Take it back to the shop get your money back.

Read this for help and advice:

click here

wee eddie 17:35 28 Sep 08

Not really very helpful advice.

I am sure that most of us are aware that once the seal has been broken, there is almost no way to get a refund on software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…