Anti virus

katielou78 12:29 20 Jan 08

I had Norton on my laptop when I bought it but it's now expired. I don't want to pay all that money for the package and have used AVG in the past. Do I have to completely get rid of Norton before I install AVG? I have tried downloading AVG on to my laptop before with Norton still on it and it sent my Outlook in to chaos.
Do I get rid of Norton first and then download AVG or download AVG and then get rid of Norton.
I've had an out of date Norton for a long time now and worried about catching a virus.

Thanks for your help

johndrew 13:16 20 Jan 08

Download the AVG package click here and save it on your `Desktop`. Download the Norton Uninstall tool click here and save that also. Go offline and completely uninstall Norton using the tool. Restart your PC and install AVG. Go online and update AVG - you may need to select update a few times to get all the updates.

johndrew 13:16 20 Jan 08

Oh yes, then run a full scan.

johndrew 13:26 20 Jan 08

Should have asked. Do you have anti-spyware (Windows Defender, Ad-Aware, Spybot or similar) installed? If no you would be wise to install some, also if you are relying on XP firewall you may like to consider an upgrade - free items are available.

katielou78 19:21 20 Jan 08

Thank you SO much johndrew! I think I may have finally resolved this! It's been on the 'to do' list for way to long now! I'll let you know how I get on.
Will also download Ad-aware, that used to be free? Is it still free?

skidzy 21:47 20 Jan 08

Some advice Katie click here

katielou78 21:53 20 Jan 08

Thanks ever so much, I'll put Adaware on I think as I've used that before. Do I need a firewall on it too?

skidzy 21:55 20 Jan 08

Yes a firewall is needed,Zonealarm free would be my choice coupled with AVG antivirus.

katielou78 21:59 20 Jan 08

Brilliant. I'm so glad I found this website! I posted something about my webcam earlier..don't suppose you could help with that?? It's driving me mad!

skidzy 22:01 20 Jan 08

Maybe Katie

Have you link to a previous thread regarding the webcam ?

p;3 18:13 21 Jan 08

if you have been running unprotected for a while I strongly suggest that, once you have Norton completely removed and avg7.5 installed you do a full update of it, reboot , take a restore point and run a full system scan

also do an on line scan from trendclick here

and make sure you also take on board the asquared, and superantispyware programs linked in the other thread ; fully update them , reboot , take a restore point and run full deep scans; I think your computer might have caught a cold from running with an out of date antivirus package

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac