sadie 2 17:05 14 Apr 04

Hi ntl sent me a e-mail saying i have got a lot of
virus going out of my pc but i have got free avg and it does a virus check each night and tells me that no virus is found i am no very good on pc so is there any help.

Djohn 17:11 14 Apr 04

Hi sadie2. Is your AVG up to date?

sadie 2 17:19 14 Apr 04

Hi djohn yes it is up to date also i have got xp

johnnyrocker 17:31 14 Apr 04

try a scan with system restore disabled, is the mail genuine ntl? (could be a spoofed addy)

Djohn 17:32 14 Apr 04

OK sadie 2 If you have not already got these two applications then download and run both of them.

Spybot S&D click here

Adaware click here

Both are free and will give your hard drive a thorough scan for any nasties.

Also if your using IE to send your mail, do you have the tick in the box to use the IE5 plug-in?

Djohn 17:33 14 Apr 04

Good point johnny. forgot to mention system restore. j.

Ironman556 17:35 14 Apr 04

you could try an online virus scan at

it's picked up thenigs for me that AVG has missed.

once it's sorted you might want to try avast click here, AVg is good, but I find avast much better.

Djohn 17:46 14 Apr 04

Just in case your not sure on how to turn off system restore and then back on again. j.

To turn off.

Click Start > Programs > Accessories > Windows Explorer

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

Click the System Restore tab.

Check the "Turn off System Restore" and say yes and apply to the message you see.

this will delete all existing restore points. Click Yes to do this.

Click OK.

Proceed with what you need to do. For example, removing viruses. Restart the computer and follow the instructions in the next section to turn on System Restore.

To turn back on.

Click Start.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

Click the System Restore tab.

Uncheck the "Turn off System Restore" tick the check box.

Click Apply, and then click OK.

Roland Butter 17:53 14 Apr 04

sadie 2
Read the Bagle 0 virus string I started yesterday. I suddenly started getting virus warning pop-ups from Norton/Symantec ststing that my ISP referd my email 'cause it may have the Bagle 0 virus. I tried every stinger (thanks jonnyrocker) and on-line gizmo going. Virgin responded to my customer service email saying that they have installed an online filter which is now causing them some minor hiccups! (Bo***X)
I'm not saying that your issue is not a real virus - just a note of caution not to get bogged down as I was.
Best of Luck

Eastender 18:59 14 Apr 04

If your Avg is up-to-date then it's almost certainly that your email address has been 'spoofed' and that you are NOT the originator of these infected emails.

Eastender 19:03 14 Apr 04

Forgot to ask if your ISP is NTL, seems strange that an ISP would send this sort of email, no attachments I hope.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…