Anti static wrist strap, advice needed

sleepy01 14:07 13 May 08

hi, im looking for advice from someone who knows for certainty how to use an anti static strap with crocodile clip on a PC build/repair.
There seems to be mixed opinions over the net and i would really like some clarity on this.
From my understanding i make sure no power is connected to PC(socket out from wall) and any stored power is drained. Then i simply wear the strap and connect the clip to the bare metal case interior?
Advice much appreciated.

Halmer 14:18 13 May 08

that you attached them to a radiator or something to earth yourself upon!

sleepy01 14:23 13 May 08

Ive read so many varying opinions over the net that its a bit confusing. I understand attaching to a radiator as static then has somewhere to go, the method i posted up above seems a popular one but does beg the question 'where does the static go if the pc casing isnt grounded?'
tho i would never actually turn the power ON but just have the plug in the wall. Which if its a new build i'd have to connect the PSU first.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:25 13 May 08

From my understanding i make sure no power is connected to PC(socket out from wall) and any stored power is drained. Then i simply wear the strap and connect the clip to the bare metal case interior?

But the frame needs to be earthed!

Switch OFF at socket but leave cable plugged in to keep the connection to earth.

Been building / repair computers since the days of the Spectrum have never bothered with a strap just make sure I have earthed myself on something like a radiator to get rid of any static build up before touching components. Then just keep doing that every now and again to be sure, especially with todays nylon carpets.

crosstrainer 14:25 13 May 08

Strapped to a radiator is fine....Use the strap when you are installing components, particularly CPU, RAM, Graphics cards and other add ins.

sleepy01 15:04 13 May 08

thanks for help, i think radiator is the best bet :)

Halmer 15:07 13 May 08

Make sure that the rad is turned off (should be in this weather) so that you don't burn yourself.

Good luck! I'm sure that you'll be fine.

Weskit 15:21 13 May 08

I may be wrong but surely all that's necessary is that your body is at the same potential as the case/motherboard, by connecting the crocodile clip to the metal of the case and always wearing the wrist strap. In that way there can be no static flow one way or the other. I don't have a metal piped heating system anyway.

sleepy01 15:26 13 May 08

do you have the plug connected to the wall, but switched off?

crosstrainer 15:28 13 May 08

That's pretty safe too, radiator is better, but you'd be very unlucky to damage components when earthed to the case.

Some people generate more static than others....(we had to let a trainee member of staff go because she could generate a visible spark from 3 inches away from a metal surface!)

pj123 15:31 13 May 08

I build/repair/update at least 5 computers a day for a friend who runs a small local business.

I (and my friend) have never used an Anti Static Wrist Strap

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…