Anti-spyware software

Mr Zippo 12:47 19 Nov 07

My computer has been invaded by spyware, including some Trojans, which have been doing odd things. Firstly, I am confused because I have Norton full protection software - how did this stuff get through. I ran a full system scan with Norton, which picked up and resolved a number of infections. However, I also have a freebie version of Spyware Doctor, which I ran as well and, in spite of the Norton scan, it still reported some Trojans and invited me to pay for the full version to get rid of them. Is this a ruse - surely Norton should eliminate the worst offenders? Am I right?

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:55 19 Nov 07

'Is this a ruse'...I would put money that it is. Download the free version of Superantispyware from click here and run it just to check. These 'ransomware' programmes get onto your computer by a user clicking on a link or offer. No antispyware or AV will stop them.

G

MAJ 13:02 19 Nov 07

Spyware doctor is a legit program, but you have downloaded the trial rather than the free version of Spyware Doctor lite, which comes free with the GooglePack. click here

Totally-braindead 13:47 19 Nov 07

I have to point out that no antivirus program is 100%, it can't be theres new ones all the time and you can't be protected until a new virus definition is created to protect you from it.

A bit of common sense and a being a bit cynical helps, if something looks too good to be true it usually is.

If you do download something scan the file with your anti virus before opening and only download files from a well know source. This is what I mean by common sense and if you find a website that offers free stuff you normally pay for and that sort of thing avoid it like the plague tempting though it is to have a look. Don't click on links you don't know especially if you're on a website you don't know as you may well just by clicking on something be allowing it access to your PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…