Antenna for Freeview recorder?

Pineman100 14:02 29 Jan 11

I want to buy a Freeview recorder box. As I understand it, this will not only allow me to record programmes, but can record one channel while I'm watching another (or record two channels simultaneously).

My question is this: Will this multi-channel recording function work from just one antenna? Or will I need a second antenna?

Thanks for any advice.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:06 29 Jan 11

I have a Humax that does exactly what you have stated.
Just connect your normal antenna to the recorder.

another lead from the recorder to the TV lets yoy watch using the TVs tuner while the box is recodring one or two programs

Pineman100 14:18 29 Jan 11

Many thanks for that, Fruit Bat /\0/\.

Do I understand you correctly that the box can actually record TWO other channels while you're watching a third channel?

onthelimit 14:35 29 Jan 11

My Sharp freeview recorder can only record one channel at a time. Only one aerial is used - there is a loop on the back which provides a feed to the other channel. Two aerial inputs could be used if the split signal from one is not strong enough.

Pineman100 14:53 29 Jan 11

Thanks onthelimit. If the signal isn't strong enough for two channels, would a signal amplifier improve the situation?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:08 29 Jan 11

To record two channels simultaneously you need a recorder with twin tuners (the twin tuners work of the one antenna),

you can then watch a third channel using the tuner in the TV, (fed from the loop through cable in the recorder)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:09 29 Jan 11

If you have a good picture on your TV now you do not need another aerial or a booster.

rawprawn 15:24 29 Jan 11

I have a brand new Humax PVR 9300T like Fruit bats which I bought in error (we can't get Freeview until September) so I bought Humax Freesat which I am now using.
I may sell it for a reasonable offer, if not I will just keep it until we get Freeview.

robin_x 15:38 29 Jan 11

Most twin tuner devices record two channels and you can watch something you have already recorded.

Or watch another settop box, or analogue channel if you still have it.

Many Argos/Curry/Supermarket spec pages are badly worded. eg Record one watch another. When in fact they can do the above.

Best to decide on a model and hunt for specs/reviews from different sources.

---------
If you don't have a booster now, you shouldn't need one.

Personally, I live in a dip and need two.
A single (or 2-1) way boost going to a 4-1 booster for living room/conservatory/upstairs TV and PC Tuner card.

Dodgy cables and connectors needed to be sorted as well with marginal reception.

I go for cheap boosters. A tenner is OK if you are not sure you need one.

click here

But of course better ones are available.

robin_x 15:41 29 Jan 11

Sorry this is mine and also 3 4-1 version I have.
click here

Pineman100 16:52 29 Jan 11

That's hugely helpful information. Many thanks to everyone - I can now go ahead and make my purchase knowing what to look for.

I'm very grateful to all of you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…