Ant-virus - do I need firewall as well?

Gilly1 15:48 06 Mar 03

Symantec has recently sent an e-mail saying that the new 'blended threats' mean that, if we are to be properly protected, we should have more than just Anti-virus protection. I am a home pc user with a simple dial-up system (not broadband). Do I really need more than Norton Anti-virus protection in view of these new 'blended threats'?

Andsome 15:54 06 Mar 03

I would not be without Norton Personal Firewall. It is vital on broadband, but you can still if you are unlucky be hacked on dial up.

JoeC 15:56 06 Mar 03

on the net without a firewall - 56k or broadband.

muppetmark 18:54 06 Mar 03

try Sygate, free firewall click here doesn't hog resources as norton can

dont get norton firewall if only amature its very difficult to set up

hoverman 19:21 06 Mar 03

Do you need a firewall? In a word YES!!!! I use Norton Internet Security which has never given any problems.

anchor 19:49 06 Mar 03

I agree, you should have a Firewall.

There is another free one available from ZoneAlarm.

click here

Scroll to the bottom of the page for the Free one.

Hermione B 19:50 06 Mar 03

Which operating system do you use? If it is Windows XP, have you tried using its firewall?

shonk 19:56 06 Mar 03

Go to the Gibson Research Corporation site on click here and look for the Shield up section. This has two tests which are
(a). Test My Shield
(b). Probe My Ports.
If you are not using a firewall 56k or B/band the result back will tell you who you are, which is not good as they have seen your NETBIOS which holds all the information about your computer and other details you wish to keep secret.
The second test Probes my Ports gives back the results of what a Hacker can see to get in through the back door of you computer and steel information or damage your computer with out you knowing. A dead cert will be port 139. The results also give a description what the port is used for and why is should not be seen.

All you need to shield Up and close your ports is a copy of ZoneAlarm Firewall which is free off the Internet at(click here). Its only a small download and once you have it up and running go back and check you Sheild & Port Probe again but this time when zonealarm ask to let your Netbios out say No and click the remember box.

The results should say that you are not there and all your ports are in Stelth mode which is very good.
Hope this is of help to you
From Shonk

shonk 20:00 06 Mar 03

Go to the Gibson Research Corporation site on click here and look for the Shield up section. This has two tests which are
(a). Test My Shield
(b). Probe My Ports.
If you are not using a firewall 56k or B/band the result back will tell you who you are, which is not good as they have seen your NETBIOS which holds all the information about your computer and other details you wish to keep secret.
The second test Probes my Ports gives back the results of what a Hacker can see to get in through the back door of you computer and steel information or damage your computer with out you knowing. A dead cert will be port 139. The results also give a description what the port is used for and why is should not be seen.

All you need to shield Up and close your ports is a copy of ZoneAlarm Firewall which is free off the Internet at(click here). Its only a small download and once you have it up and running go back and check you Sheild & Port Probe again but this time when zonealarm ask to let your Netbios out say No and click the remember box.

The results should say that you are not there and all your ports are in Stelth mode which is very good.
Hope this is of help to you
From Shonk

Belatucadrus 22:41 06 Mar 03

I'm in the use a firewall group, though there are those that disagree, as being hacked via a dial up is fairly unlikely. But I'm firmly of the opinion that as there are so many perfectly good free firewalls available:- Kerio, Sygate, Outpost & ZoneAlarm. Unless you have a really low spec system with marginal resources, surely the question should be Why not ? Prevention is always better than trying to fix things after the event.
click here for a link to a download page for the good free ones.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…