another wireless utility is comunicating

daisy2bell 08:08 23 Sep 06

A couple of times I have placed the cursor over the wifi icon in the taskbar (bottom right of the computer),and get the following message:"another wireless utility is comunicating with the intel/pro wireless adapter" and the colour of the icon is white.

Normaly it turns green and tells me that I am connected to my network, and what signal strength I have.

However, when I double click on the icon it shows all networks in the vicinity and tells me which network I am connected to, namley mine. I have wep and the sidd is hidden.
The other 2 computers are not on, and the 2nd laptop is disconnected.

ade.h 16:10 23 Sep 06

I see from your description that you are using ProSet to run your adapter. I cannot give specifics for that unfortunately, so I can only suggest the WinXP/WZC equivalent, which would be academic in your case. In essence, you may need to prevent your adapter from using and/or accepting ad-hoc links.

On a related note, are you aware of how quickly and easily WEP can be cracked by anyone with a modicum of knowledge and some freely available software? Between 3 and 5 minutes, typically. If your neighbourhood is populated by WPA networks, or has a dearth of networks altogether, you could be an easy target.

ade.h 16:12 23 Sep 06

click here and scroll down a bit.

daisy2bell 20:10 23 Sep 06

Thanks ade.h and thanks for the link. I'll have a read through tomorrow

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017