Another Which Laptop Question

HIG6241 16 May 12

Hi all. I would really appreciate some advice with regards to the two laptops linked below. I can only buy from Currys/PC World as I have vouchers. I will be using the computer to edit photos, some home movie editing (I am not planning on making the next Pixar movie or anything) and some light gaming. The Sims, Total War that sort of thing. Although it would be nice if I could play things like Skyrim on it.

Which of these represents best value/future proofing. I have had my old Toshiba Satellite for 5 years until it finally gave up on me.

Thanks!

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-series-3-np300e5a-15-6-laptop-silver-13212978-pdt.html

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pavilion-g6-1331ea-15-6-laptop-silver-11884802-pdt.html

frybluff 17 May 12

First thing to get out of the way, is that the terms "laptop" and "future proof" are mutually exclusive. The market is moving too fast. I bought a "top of the line", four months ago, and, already, it feels a bit dated.

Laptops with high performance "Ivybridge" processors, are coming on the market. Windows 8 will soon be with us.

The Samsung is a safe enough choice. I would say that, whilst it does have a "graphics card", it's fairly entry level. It will play some games, reasonably, but its capabilities are limited. I would also say that, for the price, I would expect a bit better webcam.

The HP, probably, is better value for money. Whilst I wouldn't claim any great knowledge of AMD, the A8 is reasonably good, and graphics look promising. It's still got a rubbish webcam, but you wouldn't expect much better, at the price. My slight concern would be over reliability/ after sales service, although I may be being harsh. You should check out some user reviews.

Before you decide, I would suggest checking out Asus and Acer. I would have thought they could provide some interesting options (even Toshiba, again. Their game capable options are quite good, if a little pricey).

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message