Is this another Virus or not?

pj123 11:46 10 May 04

Received an email from "someone" @northernrock.co.uk this morning. The attachment is a .com file. Text was "stuff about you?". Now (as far as I know) my ISP won't allow .bat and .exe to be sent or received. They obviously haven't cottoned on to .com files yet. Anyone else had this? I just delete mine. Oops, sorry guys, AVG has just intercepted this file. It is the Netsky virus. For info the file is topseller .com and also topseller .txt Please be aware.

scooby43 11:49 10 May 04

Thanks I have seen this virus being mentioned on allot of threads.

g0slp 12:36 10 May 04

There are indeed a lot of these pesky things doing the rounds at present.

I'd be even more suspicious than usual if I received an email 'allegedly' from someone like Northern Rock or similar, with (in my opinion) a very casual Subject title such as "Stuff about you?".

Trouble is, there are still too many folk who don't understand what's lurking in cyberspace until it's too late, or are casual in their approach to email attachments etc.

Still, it's a change from the other stuff going about where you're asked to resubmit your Bank Account/Credit card details on the strength of an email purporting to come from the likes of eBay, or indeed banks. (Had 2 'from' eBay in the last 4 days; guess where they were disposed of!)

Regards to all
Mark
(g0slp)

stlucia 12:53 10 May 04

I had two allegedly from different banks the other day -- Lloyds TSB and another one I can't remember. Subject lines were a bit more plausible than your northernrock one, but both were binned without opening.

pj123 15:30 11 May 04

Yep, got another 2 today. So be careful out there everybody. Don't trust everything you see. Pleased to say AVG found them and they are now in the Vault.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…