Is this another virus?

budget84 16:12 10 Jul 09

Hi there,

I wrote yesterday regarding problems I had after uninstalling some programmes and technotiger kindly helped me sort out the problem after detecting a virus/spyware on my computer.

However I have also noticed lately that when I play music on itunes (probably the last month or so) it does not play smoothly and crackles and skips a lot. The problem here is that I use itunes for work, I am a singer and therefore play my music through this and it is very embarrassing when it skips. I have noticed though when looking at windows task manager when operating itunes there is a process called ezi_hnm2.exe that runs at the same time with a CPU usage of around 9 and 10. When I am playing itunes the light on my laptop constantly flickers like something is trying to load. I was wondering if this ezi thing could be the issue?

I have also noticed on my startup folder that a programme called PMX Daemon with the file name ICO.EXE starts up with my computer according to my start up list. What is this? Could this also be a virus? Any advice you could give me would be much appreciated, I have a gig this evening and it would be nice to have removed any unwanted programmes so that my music can play smoothly. Thanks for your time, Amy

Clapton is God 16:20 10 Jul 09

Which PC/laptop are you using?

rawprawn 16:21 10 Jul 09

ezi_hnm2.exe is no trojan though, but related with the Dell Network Assistant.
It is indeed a known fact that it uses a lot of CPU.

To disable it, go to start > run and type: msconfig
Then click the startup tab and disable next programs in there:

DellSupport
Dell Network Assistant

Click apply and ok.
Then reboot your computer.

After reboot, you'll get a message that something has been modified in your System configuration Utility. Check the box there where it says not to display this message again (or something similar).

budget84 16:32 10 Jul 09

Thank you for your quick responses.

Clapton is God - I am using a dell inspiron 6400 laptop.

Rawprawn - I am glad to hear that ezi_hnm2.exe is not a virus. Are you saying that I do not need Dell support and dell network assistant? If I do not need these dell programmes shall I just uninstall them? Or do you think I should just remove them from my start up? Thanks very much for your help.

Clapton is God 16:32 10 Jul 09

Before you follow rawprawn's suggestion, have a look at this click here and scroll down the page.

If you're running a Dell, it MAY be related to a Daemon mouse suite and it's not advisable to disable it.

Hence my question about the make/model of your PC/laptop.

budget84 16:33 10 Jul 09

P.S. Do you know what the PMX Daemon thing is?

Technotiger 16:36 10 Jul 09

I will stand-aside while the other guys answer your questions -

But, I would recommend Songbird as a Grreat alternative to iTunes.

click here

Technotiger 16:38 10 Jul 09

I also strongly recommend that you run the one-click Maintenance in the Free click here

budget84 16:44 10 Jul 09

Thank you for your recommendation technotiger.

Clapton is God - Yes I think you might be right about the PMX Daemon being related to the mouse suite. I am unsure though as to what to do about all the dell extras that I have, not sure if I need them. Do you think they are the reason for my itunes crackling and skipping? What other reasons are there for the light flickering constantly? It's like something is constantly running. Thanks

Clapton is God 16:46 10 Jul 09

Have you used msconfig to establish what's running at startup?

budget84 16:51 10 Jul 09

Just went on msconfig and I have 30 programmes that run on start up. Thing is I don't know what half of them are so therefore scared of removing anything when I don't know what they are as could be getting rid of vital programmes. Is 30 a lot of things to be starting up?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009