Another USB2 Problem

Rogmur 01:12 02 Jan 07

Hello and Happy New Year to all Forum Members.

I am puzzled why I can not install any USB2 devices.
My ASUS A7N8X2 Motherboard supports USB2 devices.
As I have not encountered any problems with this before, (I have used other USB1 and USB2 Flash Drives)without problems.

But recently whenever I plug in any USB device I immediately receive the Windows XP Hardware Installation Wizard.

If I click on the Install button the Wizard searches for a driver and then throws up "Cannot install this device as it can not find the software".

I have tried everything to solve this problem but to no avail.

I do hope you can help.

Kind regards

Rogmur

Totally-braindead 01:57 02 Jan 07

Which devices specifically?

terryf 02:11 02 Jan 07

Have you been to device manager to see if there are any yellow marks against the usb devices? Consider right clicking on all your USB devices and uninstall then reboot and let windows find them all again. You could also try Start>run and type in sfc /scannow (leave a space after sfc) and press enter. You will need to have your windows cd in the drive.

Rogmur 01:46 03 Jan 07

Hi Forum Members

I am having problems with all USB2 Devices,
for example I have two new USB2 Flash drives
neither of which connect to my desktop pc without throwing up the dreaded Windows Hardware Wizard.
I do not understand why the WHW should appear as WinXP
does not require the WHW for USB?

I have tried terryf suggestion of uninstalling the USB Devices but when I rebooted (and received the WHW again) the Enhanced USB driver was missing,

therefore, I had to use Sytem Restore.

I will try sfc with the WinXP in the drive.

Many thanks for the advice terryf.

Kind regards

Rogmur

Newuser4165 08:53 03 Jan 07

This motherboard may have a nVidia chipset - mine does.
Try updating the nVidia chipset driver :-
click here

terryf 13:16 03 Jan 07

I suggest that sfc /scannow MAY cure this because it does not seem right that win should not detect Enhanced USB drivers. You should perhaps also check your ASUS mobo driver disk and try re-installing drivers from there (go to Add/remove and take any ASUS drivers out before re-install)

Rogmur 18:53 03 Jan 07

Many thanks to Newuser4165
and terryf for your help.

I will try out both suggestions, and let you know how I get on.

Kind regards

Rogmur

Totally-braindead 18:56 03 Jan 07

Have you recently reinstalled windows? XP needs SP1 installed in order to get USB 2.0 speeds. Sorry if I'm being obvious.

Totally-braindead 19:29 03 Jan 07

I just found this on the Belkin site while trying to help someone else click here= now admitedly its a different card from yours but if the problem can exist with a Belkin one it makes sense that the same thing could effect other makes. Worth a try anyway. See if you can get an updated driver for your PCI card.

Totally-braindead 22:15 03 Jan 07

Are you sure the A7N8X2 is your motherboard because if you look at the ASUS site its not listed click here.
Identify your motherboard. Download the drivers. Install them. Make sure that Windows is updated to at least SP1, if you goto Control Panel then System it tells you at the top the version of Windows and what service pack is installed mine for example says Windows XP Professional then underneath says Service Pack 2.
I've just been looking about and wonder if you mean your motherboard is the A7N8X version 2.0 and if so the drivers are here click here the one you will need is second from the bottom.
I'm away to look at the manual to see if there is a BIOS setting to enable the USB 2.0. and if I find anything I'll post back.

Totally-braindead 22:23 03 Jan 07

There is a USB option, its called USB controllers its under Advanced, Integrated Peripherals in the BIOS. It can be set to USB 1.1 and 2.0 or USB 1.1 only or disabled. Check its not set to USB 1.1.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5