Is this another type of scam?

Nosmas 21:35 23 Nov 06

My email program is Outlook Express v6.0 and I have just received the following from 'Mail Delivery System': -

"This is the Proprietary program at host zixvpm02.geisinger.edu.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that the message returned
below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the message returned below.

The Proprietary program

[email protected]>: host 159.240.9.21[159.240.9.21] said: 554 5.7.1
Command rejected (in reply to end of DATA command)"

Despite the reference to 'message returned below' there is nothing else in the body of the email, but there are two attachments - 'Undelivered message.eml (64 bytes)' & 'Delivery error report (258 bytes)' neither of which have I attempted to view.

I am puzzled by the receipt of this message because today I have only sent two emails, and prior to that I sent one on 17/11/06. I have no knowledge of anything referred to in this message and trying to 'ping' the IP address resulted in a time-out.

Although AVG anti-virus stamped this message 'No virus found in this incoming message' I am left wondering if this is some sort of scam email which will give me problems if I attempt to open either of the attachments or respond to the email address suggested.

Any thoughts please?

Totally-braindead 21:37 23 Nov 06

I would just delete it but thats me. See what the others say.

Meshuga 21:41 23 Nov 06

If it`s anything you did not send or is in any way suspicious then delete it. Thats my golden rule.

postie24 21:48 23 Nov 06

It is a scam,like the others have said,just delete

big bloke66 21:49 23 Nov 06

As Totally-braindead & Meshuga if you recieve any suspect email you`re not sure of....delete it.
bb66

Technotiger 21:58 23 Nov 06

Yes ... Delete!

Nosmas 22:07 23 Nov 06

Thanks for the very quick replies. Normally I do delete anything suspicious - don't even download it as I use MailWasher and can delete messages on the server.

My reason for hesitation is that if it was a genuine non-delivery of something I had sent, then I would like to know so that I could attempt to correct any inaccurate address and re-send it; but to do that would require opening one of the attachments which I am reluctant to do.

I have just run a 'Whois' search on the IP address and it returns Geisinger Medical Centre in Pennsylvania USA. Never heard of them nor to my knowledge had any dealings with them. The thought occurs to me that they may be one of the firms who send out emails advertising 'cheapy' pharmaceuticals etc.

Stuartli 23:55 23 Nov 06

Firstly, you should always have the Preview Pane in Outlook Express PERMANENTLY disabled (otherwise even just clicking on an e-mail can set the nasties into action).

Secondly, from the list of e-mails received you can then highlight a suspicious e-mail, right click on it and select Properties.

From there you can examine the e-mail headers and, from the Message Source, read the message itself.

If you are in any doubt keep cancelling and then Delete the e-mail using the Toolbar Delete button. Delete again in the Deleted Folder if necessary.

Nosmas 00:43 24 Nov 06

Thanks for your reply. I always have had the Preview Pane switched off so no emails get opened unless I click on them to read them. As I said in my earlier post I use MailWasher which permits me to read both headers and the actual message whilst the emails are still on my ISP's server. If the email is 'junk' or I am suspicious of it, I can then delete it on the server so it never gets downloaded to my PC.

I have been receiving a lot of mail from various Postmasters, Mail delivery subsystems, Mailer Daemon etc stating that my mail could not be delivered. But I did not send the mail and the sending addresses quoted in the returned mail while similar to mine are not the same. In particular the addesses are a variety of apparently random letters prior to the @ sign then followed by my exact address.
Can anybody explain what is going on and how can stop this endless stream of emails.

jack 10:49 09 Feb 07

Much has been said is good advice.
From my point of view I was also getting all sorts of odd and end like this
mail that I had not sent being 'returned'
others with strange titles that if you do dare to open contain a funny graphics with what appears to be finance dealing detail???????

What I do now is to view everything on the server[web-mail] and delete all that is not required,
answer those that need only a quick reply, and then delete, and only allow in via the E-mail client the stuff I really, really need.
That stops it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009