Another System File Checker (SFC) question

Brian-336451 16:46 13 Apr 04

Having been reading these posts through, and having put my XPPro installation files on a different partition.

I got to wondering whether SFC takes any account of MS's own updates of core files, or does it just do 'what it says on the can' and restore files back to the origninal installation standard.

Anyone know?

MichelleC 18:24 13 Apr 04

I think it just replaces the missing/corrupt system file, so if that particular file has since been updated in a sp or an update then it'll be outdated.

ade.h 18:57 13 Apr 04

Based on my own experience of SFC, I think MichelleC is probably right, especially since it takes its files from the CD. Perhaps another exaple of a good idea that MS hasn't implemented particularly well....?

BurrWalnut 19:22 13 Apr 04

It doesn't always take them from the CD. It depends upon registry pointers. Run regedit and search for "source path" and you will see.

In my particular case I re-lettered 3 partitions and the path is pointing to a hard drive classified as CD-ROM, drive F, which I know is wrong. I haven't changed it but I am expecting an error or a mismatch next time I run SFC.

Brian-336451 05:32 17 Apr 04

It sometimes needs the CD (although I have copied my installation files to a partition and re-installed over the top - that way it doesn't bleat for the CD)

I wondered whether it might be tied into the Windows Update storage directory. . .

Or isn't it that smart?

Does anyone know?

temp003 06:07 17 Apr 04

Never used SFC myself, so don't know the answer. In the same registry key where the XP Source Path is, there is also one for the Service Pack source path. So it's quite possible that SFC will look at the service pack files as well.

temp003 06:10 17 Apr 04

As to non-service-pack Windows updates, any system files updated should also be copied to the system32\dllcache folder. That's another possible place where SFC double-checks whether a system file has been changed.

temp003 09:55 17 Apr 04

click here and have a read, especially about how sfc interacts with Windows Updates.

A description of Windows File Protection, which is very much related to sfc in XP. click here

Brian-336451 21:06 17 Apr 04

Well that about answers my question.

Thanks for the effort, I went into the MS Knowledgebase and Community Forums and couldn't find that.

Appreciate the help - green tick I think

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…