another search engien query!

tomleady 11:01 19 Jan 04

i ahve done a website for my local church (stmarys-grassendale.co.uk) and i cant find it anywhere on google when i type in 'st. marys' or anything with those two words in.

but if i type in 'Grassendale', then its on the 2nd page.

my metatags are:
meta name="Description" content="St. Mary's Church, Grassendale, Liverpool">
meta name="Keywords" content="Saint Mary's Church, St., Mary's, Church, Liverpool, Diocese, Grassendale, Garston, St. Mary's, L19">

i am doing anythign wrong? i dont really understand how search engines work.

thanks,
Tom

Forum Editor 11:16 19 Jan 04

an let the search engines spider your site themselves. They'll list it anyway, and you migfht get a better result.

Alternatively, set the keywords:

church, St. Marys, Liverpool, Grassendale

There's no magic formula with meta tags, or with search engines. Different engines work in different ways, and most are entirel automatic, although some (like Yahoo) still work by having a human operator look at each site.

Keep experimenting, and you'll end up with the best combination. I rarely use meta tags in sites I design for clients, and many of them still achieve very high listings.

tomleady 11:22 19 Jan 04

realised i spelt engine wrong on the heading. its been a slow start to the day!

thanks for that FE.
i'll take them out and leave it for a while. at the present moment the site isnt been viewed a huge amount, but i hoping to have it in search engines for when people search for 'church' or 'liverpool' etc.

thanks

tom

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced