Another query regarding HDDs?

Gaz 25 18:44 06 May 04

Im am still worried that I better get a new board and PSU.

A seagate drive is making sortof rapid clock ticking sounds when accessing data. Now my other PC, I cannot even hear the seagate.

My laptop is about the same as the desktop which I think is affected, but that is not a seagate its a toshiba which are not the most silent.

Can anyone just give me an insight to what noises to look for?

It does NOT make any whines or loud clicks or clunks, its simply a clock ticking really fast sound, but sometimes get very rapid.

Thanks for any suggestions beforehand.

Sorry to bring this up again, but I do not want another HDD to fail, out of interest you see, I put it in an external caddy, and it was quieter, is my case amplifying the sound?

Gaz 25 18:45 06 May 04

Also, its lasted longer than my Maxtor! The big question is, is this seagate on its way out? Which I find hard to believe since they are a top manufacturer.

Gaz 25 19:23 06 May 04

I hope someone can assist? Please ;-)

woodchip 19:39 06 May 04

Ticking is nothing to worry about its grinding and Drive error's that are the problem Download
Diagnostic Software from click here and put a clean floppy disc in comp double click the download, after its created the floppy restart with the floppy to test your drive

seedie 19:41 06 May 04

has a utility which you may download and will test your drive, why not give it a try?

Gaz 25 19:42 06 May 04

It says its fine, but I find the ticking becomes audiable sometimes, to where it highlight the drive.

I will maybe just relax. It doesnt make grinding.

Gaz 25 20:09 06 May 04

I dont quite know if its right though, it sometimes gets louder than ticking.

woodchip 22:20 06 May 04

Have you got S.M.A.R.T setup in the BIOS if you do not have it. you can load a software version I have it and can send. It monitors your Hard Drive and warns you before disaster strikes. If it's in BIOS enable it

Gaz 25 22:27 06 May 04

Gigabyte mobo it is, and No the option isnt there, it needs a bios update for that. Umm odd, its a recent enough board too.

Yes ok can you send that to me, the software version?

Visit my website click here click the contact and e-mail me through there.

Does it work with any HDD? What exacly does it do, detect any odd behaviour and is it reliable?

Must work in XP BTW.

Gaz 25 22:41 06 May 04

Woodchip, if im not around later to thank you when it arrives, then I will say it now. Thank you! ;-)

Ill let you know the results!

Gaz 25 16:47 08 May 04

Have you got this program for me? Or is there anywhere I can download it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…