Another PC With Lock Up Problems.

Jester2K II 13:41 05 Jul 03

Another mates PC - whats going on here - with lock up problems.

First of all it wouldn't last 30 seconds without locking up and having a massive graphical fit (whilst loading Windows 98, loading the desktop, even in the BIOS!!!)

Swapped the G Card over with mine temporarily. Stable for over an hour so fitted a new card similar spec (GeForce 2 MX-200)

Worked fine for another hour.

Rebooted and nothing!!

The hard drive doesn't seem to spin up (no vibs or HDD light activity) and the PC won't even go to POST - just a blank screen. Leave the PC 10 mins and then it might boot ok UNTIL you reboot when it does this again!!

HDD works fine in my PC - scandisk passed, needs a mega defrag but this wouldn't stop the PC from going to POST.

Going mad any ideas?? I guess SOMETHING is overheating but why will it run fine and then not restart ok??

AMD 4 ever 13:56 05 Jul 03

What spec is you mates PC?

Hard to say what could cause it at the moment without furtehr info.

neosimz 14:00 05 Jul 03
  VoG II 14:01 05 Jul 03

You would be better off sticking to click here

Jester2K II 14:03 05 Jul 03

Mobo - EPOX EP-8KHA click here

IBM Deskstar 27.3 GB

2 x Crucial PC2100 DDR RAM 256 MB each (512MB Total)

I think 1.4 Athlon.. not sure cos i can't get it started to find out at the mo (hes on Golf Course)

Jester2K II 14:58 05 Jul 03

1400 AMD Athlon...

Worked fine for 20 mins. Installed Win98SE Shutdown Patch and IDE HDD Cache fix. Reboot - black screen....

BTW Processor fans spin up but HDD doesn't appear to make an effort, although it works fine in another PC. Nothing is going to the montitor (ornage light on) and Keyboard light don't flash at all. Doesn't even seem to want to go to to POST...

Jester2K II 15:13 05 Jul 03

The side of the case is off and it has a 400w PSU...

powerless 15:18 05 Jul 03

Dodgy Motherboard.

Jester2K II 15:28 05 Jul 03

How so sure? I mean i know its difficult to diagnose over the Internet but the system is stable up until you reboot (warm or cold) until you wait 15 mins or so.

This page gives troubleshooting advise and the POST LED codes doesn't really help. Sometime sit satys at 00 sometimes FF... Even then you'd expect failure 100% of the time ....

I know i'm not going to get the answer here cos it too difficult to diagnose over the net. Going to try a different PSU.

Replacing CPU adn Mobo are No-No....

If you don't hear from me i've become a monk....

Cheers

powerless 15:34 05 Jul 03

Tear all the parts out that you do not need, like a sound card, Optical drives etc.

Then run her and she if she become unstable. If she does then it's something else. As you've elimated the parts you do not need...

Then its pinpointing the problem.

I suspect the mother has a fault or either the RAM or PSU are in need of a fix.

A format would tell you if its windows but you would have to format obviously.

I still say the mother has a problem though. But you never know.

Jester2K II 16:16 05 Jul 03

Had the mobo out - nothing.

Tried to have the PSU out but couldn't unplug the PSU connector to the Mobo (no i'm not normally that weak!!!) However CPU Fan and South Bridge Chipset (???) fan fire ok .... Just when it won't go to POST the HDD does APPEAR to spin (you don't get that whir, whir, wump of a HDD unparking (or whatever all HDDs seem to do when you switch on - normal sound not crashing heads type sound!!!!!!!)

Is there an errent BIOS setting that might cause this? Temp Cut Out that sort of thing???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…