Another novice wired network issue

johno 00:03 02 Mar 05

Hi, I have purchased a Netgear DG834G router to run my Win XP desktop & my daughters Win ME Desktop on AOL. This works perfectly as AOL support this. I also want to be able to allow my daughters PC to use my printers & be able to see her PC on the "network". I've tried the wizards but no luck so far. I need a step by step 1,2,3 idiots guide!!
Thanks in advance. John

Zaphod Beeblebrox 01:57 02 Mar 05

have you got a software firewall running if so you will need to configure it to allow network traffic

to add a printer the easiest way is to hook the printer up to a machine xp preferable once installed go into the printers panel right click the printer icon for your printer click properties select the sharing tab check shared as assign the printer a share name in the box to the right eg myprinter-1$.

the next stage is to map the printer to the other computers. To do this go into add printers on the client machine click on add printer, the wizard will ask if you want to add a local or network printer check network then next you will be asked what printer you want to connect to check connect to this printer or( browse for printer) leave name box empty click next, you will then get a box up showing machines on the network double click the name of the machine the printer is connected to this should then reveal the printer, click on the printer name then click next do you want this to be your default printer y/n click next then finish

finally check properties on both printers and check all paper settings are A4 as many default to letter

johno 13:01 02 Mar 05

Hi
I have tried your suggestions to the letter & all appears as it should. When trying to find the printer I get a message unable to connect to the network. Thanks. John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…