another norton ghost question

sunny staines 22:03 01 Sep 06

my pc has go to go for yet another repair [under warranty] i have made a clone disk to disk and understand that.
i have also done a disk image using ghost ver 9. can i load this to a blank disk or do i have to load windows and the various programs first?

VoG II 22:07 01 Sep 06

You should just restore the image - this should include Windows and everything else.

sunny staines 22:11 01 Sep 06

vog thank for the reply, what is the difference or advantage between an image and a disk to disk clone or are they the same thing as i have done one of each not being knowledgable on ghost.

sunny staines 10:21 02 Sep 06

any ghost users help with the above please.

FelixTCat 11:01 02 Sep 06

Hi sunny staines,

With a disk to disk clone you are making a complete copy of every aspect of one disk onto another. Thus, you could remove the original disk and replace it with the clone and the system wouldn't be able to tell the difference, software-wise.

An image can be of a whole disk or even part of a disk. For example, one of the longest parts of setting up a pc is installing the operating system, e.g. XP. If you install the system, plus perhaps some basic software, you can then make a image of this. If, later, you want to wipe the disk and start again, instead of having to reinstall that operating system and software from scratch, you simply restore the image.

Cloning a disk requires a separate hard disk to become the clone; making a disk image just requires some free space on a disk.

Hope that helps explain it.

Regards,

Felix

vinnyT 11:05 02 Sep 06

Don't use ghost (TI8), but as far as I know;

a clone will copy the whole hd, including partitions (these may or may not be scaled to the new disk). eg. if I cloned my 80gb hd to a new 120gb hd it would include all the partitions, but they would be proportunately larger.

if you use an image, the hd has to be partitioned beforehand and the images restored to these partitions.

Personally I just use images, find it easier to have the partitions on seperate dvds or as seperate files.

Hope this makes some sense (sorry if it dosn't, nurse has just been and the drugs are clicking in;-)

Hope this helps.

vinnyT 11:06 02 Sep 06

Goota type faster:p

sunny staines 11:43 02 Sep 06

felix & vinnyt

great, thanks for clearing those points.

vinnyT 12:01 02 Sep 06

Welcome

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac