another networking problem

dfghjkl 22:42 20 Mar 04

i am running xp pro with ntl bb,i used to use ethernet to connect modem to pc,i changed to usb to free up network slot.i then connected with a straight through cable to other pc (win 98 se)my pc is showing network cable unplugged but it is not and i know it works.i have run network wizard on both pc,s but if it is not showing as connected i am not having much luck.any ideas?thanks,peter.

mgmcc 23:27 20 Mar 04

If you are connecting the two network cards directly, you must use a "crossover" CAT5 ethernet cable, not a straight patch cable.

SEASHANTY 23:53 20 Mar 04

Assuming that you have a spare PCI slot in the main PC it may have been better to have kept the ethernet
NTL connection and purchased another PCI LAN card to connect to the other PC with a crossover cable. Ethernet gives less problems than USB connection.

dfghjkl 00:00 21 Mar 04

i might not have the correct cable,i borrowed it from work.it is a cable with a network plug on each end,it fits ok,are there differant cables?i think the cable was used to link up pc,s at work.

mgmcc 07:54 21 Mar 04

dfghjkl,

A special "crossover" cable is required to connect two computers directly "Network Card to Network Card".

In your office, PCs were almost certainly connected via a Network Hub or Switch, in which case "straight wired" cables will have been used.

SEASHANTY 11:05 21 Mar 04

Difference between crossover and straight through is shown on the diagram at this website
click here

SEASHANTY 11:12 21 Mar 04

Another source on Network cabling
click here

SEASHANTY 11:21 21 Mar 04

....and yet another on networking FAQ's. This website also gives many links towards the end of the page on associated networking issues.
click here

dfghjkl 14:32 21 Mar 04

priceless.the cable was used with a hub.so i guess i need a cable,or a hub,or a router.thanks chaps

dfghjkl 00:15 22 Mar 04

what about the cable that i got with the modem? i am using the usb cable at the moment.i know it is very short but it will do for setup.thanks.peter.

SEASHANTY 14:14 22 Mar 04

The RJ45 cable that you got with the modem will be a straight through cat5 or cat5e patch cable.
These cables are very cheap. A 20 metre one is only about £8 to £10.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…